Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

linkage

It's an old 1958 Les Paul tenor guitar. I love tenor guitars and would like to own an electric one some day, but 10 grand? Why would you pay that much for this thing unless it was the only one ever made.

#2 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (matt_theripper @ Apr 23 2008, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
linkage

It's an old 1958 Les Paul tenor guitar. I love tenor guitars and would like to own an electric one some day, but 10 grand? Why would you pay that much for this thing unless it was the only one ever made.

it's a vintage Les Paul, it'll probably sell for more. People seem to have some fascination with old guitars just because they're old.

#3 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ Apr 22 2008, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
linkage

it's a vintage Les Paul, it'll probably sell for more. People seem to have some fascination with old guitars just because they're old.

Oh... I understand that. However, it's not a regular Les Paul, it's a tenor guitar. I'm not sure whether it being a tenor guitar would inflate or deflate the price, though. And a $10K price tag blows me away regardless.

#4 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

If it was a standard of that year, it would fetch way more

#5 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:15 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for twice that amount.
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#6 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ Apr 23 2008, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
linkage

Because old guitars are generally better built than their modern day counter parts.

#7 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:07 AM

(Like with cars, homes, clothing, shoes, furniture and women. wink.gif )

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#8 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:08 AM

they can keep it.

#9 gwillaker

gwillaker
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts
  • Original Name: gwillaker

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:16 AM

Thats amazing! ONLY 10 grand! ohmy.gif tongue.gif

The vintage guitar market has gone insane. If it was made in the 50's and has Les Paul's name on it, it will sell for a fortune. The average 50's guitar may be better than the average 21st century guitar, but its not 10 grand (or 100 grand) better IMO. But thats just my opinion, others can do what they like tongue.gif

#10 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

if I had a choice between a 1950's les paul or a contemporary one, I'd take the contemporary one.

#11 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ Apr 23 2008, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
linkage

Sometimes that might be true, especially for actual pure "collectors" (as opposed to players who just happen to have acquired a nice collection of guitars that they bought to play and use), but in many cases they are better guitars. For many reasons... from the quality of that old wood being no longer available, to newer cost-cutting manufacturing methods, to lower skill levels of semi-trained assembly-line workers compared to the old way of construction by an actual luthier almost from start to finish who actually had pride in his work. Lots of reasons. A p.o.s guitar is a p.o.s. guitar whenever it was made, (although even old p.o.s. guitars usually had better materials and construction!), and a nice one is a nice one, new or vintage. But a well-made older vintage guitar, assuming it was well cared for and has no issues is frequently a better guitar than a new "re-issue" of the same model. For a lot of reasons, and guys who are familiar with playing nice vintage instruments know it. Is it worth the extra expense? That's a different issue entirely, depending on what it's worth to the individual. Here's the most recent example I experienced myself. I was in a Guitar Center checking out a few things for someone else. In the acoustic-room I noticed they had a brand new Gibson collectors edition re-issue of the 1934-36 "The Jumbo" made to identical specs, etc, etc. I have an original. I picked up the guitar and played it a minute and thought "This is a really nice guitar." I played a few more minutes and a salesguy came over. He said I can let you have it for $2500, down from $3500 list (or whatever) and we haggled back and forth down to $1800 out the door if it wasn't charged (credit cards charge a fee to the store for purchases made on them).

I thought it would be nice to have a guitar identical to my vintage original (which is my "main-acoustic") that I didn't have to worry as much at a gig, or travelling with it, etc. (My original is worth about fifteen-thousand now.) So I decided I'd buy it. I told him to hold it, I was going home to get my checkbook and I'd be right back to buy it. During conversation I'd mentioned I had an original at home. He asked if I'd mind bringing it back with me, he'd really like to see it, and I said I'd bring it. So I went home, got my checkbook and the guitar and came back. So we're in the acoustic room again and he takes mine out of the case and admires it a bit and then hands it to me and says "play something on it." So I sat down and rattled off something. The new one was right next to me so I picked it up and did the same tune. Then I picked up my old one again and did like a Blind Blake tune, then the new one and did the same thing, then a Reverend Gary Davis, and a Blindboy Fuller, etc, etc through six or seven tunes switching back and forth playing the identical tune on both guitars. A little circle of maybe a dozen or so people had started standing around listening (and so of course I had to show off a little too! laugh.gif ) Anyway, after doing that for about fifteen minutes I stopped. One of the guys standing around... a younger guy who looked emo/metal or something said "Man, that old fukkin' guitar kicks that new ones ass." and a few others agreed and nodded their heads and all that.

And they were right. Even people less experienced playing could tell the difference when they were put right up against each other. Better wood on the old one, a luthier put it together and had tap-tuned and planed it perfectly, it never was on an assembly line. The new "exact replica" was Sitka spruce instead of old-growth Adirondack. The glue used was probably a modern expoxy instead of a heated horse-hide. The old one was broken in and could "breathe" which can take many decades (less important on an electric, but not on an acoustic or, to a degee, on a hollow-body). Whatever the various reasons, they added up to one guitar being dramatically better than the other (and remember, even I thought the re-issue was a fantastic guitar when I played it) (which it was).

I told the salesguy I'm sorry but I changed my mind, and even he agreed and said I understand, there's no comparison between the two.

And that's the reason why some people prefer vintage guitars. That's not always the case. Lots of old guitars weren't well-cared for, or have just worn out or weren't that great to begin with. (Not everything made "back in the day" was perfect. They could turn out a dud too.) But when a fine old guitar is well cared for and has no issues, it's often (not always, but often) better than a new one, made supposedly to identical specifications.

That's not always the reason they're so valuable. Pure "collectors" only care about rarity or appreciating value. (I have little respect for "collectors" who have driven up the prices of many fine old guitars way beyond what most players who would actually use them to make music can afford just so they can hang it on the wall or as an ivestment. It's gotten pretty ridiculous, the prices for most of them. Being honest, most of my most valuable guitars there's no way on God's green earth I'd pay that kind of money for them if I had to buy them now. I was lucky enough to get most of mine a whole lot cheaper, either because they hadn't become "collectible" yet or because thirty years ago in a pawnshop it was just a used guitar. Not a "rare vintage collectible."

Anyway, that's why some people prefer them, not just because they're facinated with old things or are stupid enough to waste money on one object which is in every way identical to the other except in price. Wholly aside from rarity and value. Whether it's worth the difference or not is a different matter entirely.

Oh, and that tenor LP... I wouldn't pay five-hundred for it. New or vintage, unless I could find someone who'd buy it off me at that ridiculous high price so I could take the profit I made and use it to buy something else I actually want with it.

jacksontz.jpg

#12 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

Maybe a little steep price wise, to me it might be worth between 6-8 thousand but I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt because Gibson has not made a guitar like that in ages and you rarely run across something like that.

#13 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, and that tenor LP... I wouldn't pay five-hundred for it. New or vintage, unless I could find someone who'd buy it off me at that ridiculous high price so I could take the profit I made and use it to buy something else I actually want with it.

I'd probably pay 500 for it, but not much more than that. I probably will end up spending about that on an electric tenor guitar at some point in time (most likely many many years in the future).

#14 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (matt_theripper @ Apr 23 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd probably pay 500 for it, but not much more than that. I probably will end up spending about that on an electric tenor guitar at some point in time (most likely many many years in the future).

My next electric purchase (if there is another one) would likely be a baritone guitar if I can find one I like at a price I like. (So far I've found both a great baritone and a great price for one, but unfortunately not on the same instrument! laugh.gif )

jacksontz.jpg

#15 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My next electric purchase (if there is another one) would likely be a baritone guitar if I can find one I like at a price I like. (So far I've found both a great baritone and a great price for one, but unfortunately not on the same instrument! laugh.gif )

That usually seems to be the problem.

#16 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you played the Jerry Jones baritone guitars? A somewhat pricey version of the old Danelectro baritones, only they are built better. I have heard good things about them, would like to try some of their guitars out myself actually. Their baritones hover in the 1000 dollar range, the Shorthorn and Single Cutaway models with 3 lipstick tube pickups are 1100, two pickup versions of both are 1050.

#17 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:35 AM

I haven't tried one but I'll keep my eye out for one. Out of the four or five I've tried so far I vastly prefer the Fender Telecaster Baritone (which had superb "twangy bawlz"), but from what I understand they were only made for a limited time and are now hard to find unless you special order one. I wish I'd bought the one I saw and played when I found it (It was gone a week later). The Gretsch Spectra-Sonic baritone was pretty decent, but not quite as nice as the Tele. I don't play electric much any more so it's not like I'm in dire need of one or anything, but I would like to have one.

jacksontz.jpg

#18 Hobs911

Hobs911
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Original Name: Hobs911

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better with age. That's how I like my women, but I would never pay 10,000 for a woman from the 50's.

Hobs911
Lloyd: When I met Mary, I got that old fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her.
Harry: That's a special feeling.
Don Knotts(July 21, 1924 February 24, 2006) Rip Barn.

#19 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Hobs911 @ Apr 24 2008, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better with age. That's how I like my women, but I would never pay 10,000 for a woman from the 50's.

Generally I would agree (and hopefully Momfad won't read this laugh.gif ).

But there are a few exceptions....

(Current photos of some women from the fifties...)

Apollonia

Linda Blair ("Your mother burns in Hell...")

Sade

Shannon Tweed

Nastassja Kinski

(....Dadfad gets tired of googling for possibly-still-fairly-hot women from the fifties...)

Anyway, there are a few around. I don't know if I'd pay ten-thou for one (unless if maybe they swallow and do windows), but there are some that would still fall into the "vintage" category instead of just "old" or "used."

jacksontz.jpg

#20 ride85

ride85

Nath

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • Original Name: ride85

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ Apr 23 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if I had a choice between a 1950's les paul or a contemporary one, I'd take the contemporary one.

i'd take the 1950s one, sell it then buy a contemporary one, then with the left-over cash, put a deposit on a house.
www.myspace.com/nath85

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...