#21 gwillaker

gwillaker
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts
  • Original Name: gwillaker

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not always the reason they're so valuable. Pure "collectors" only care about rarity or appreciating value. (I have little respect for "collectors" who have driven up the prices of many fine old guitars way beyond what most players who would actually use them to make music can afford just so they can hang it on the wall or as an ivestment. It's gotten pretty ridiculous, the prices for most of them. Being honest, most of my most valuable guitars there's no way on God's green earth I'd pay that kind of money for them if I had to buy them now. I was lucky enough to get most of mine a whole lot cheaper, either because they hadn't become "collectible" yet or because thirty years ago in a pawnshop it was just a used guitar. Not a "rare vintage collectible."

My thought exactly!

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 24 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if I'd pay ten-thou for one (unless if maybe they swallow and do windows), but there are some that would still fall into the "vintage" category instead of just "old" or "used."

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh, and Michelle Pfeiffer is a nice vintage '58, donthca think? tongue.gif

#22 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (gwillaker @ Apr 24 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not always the reason they're so valuable. Pure "collectors" only care about rarity or appreciating value. (I have little respect for "collectors" who have driven up the prices of many fine old guitars way beyond what most players who would actually use them to make music can afford just so they can hang it on the wall or as an ivestment. It's gotten pretty ridiculous, the prices for most of them. Being honest, most of my most valuable guitars there's no way on God's green earth I'd pay that kind of money for them if I had to buy them now. I was lucky enough to get most of mine a whole lot cheaper, either because they hadn't become "collectible" yet or because thirty years ago in a pawnshop it was just a used guitar. Not a "rare vintage collectible."

My thought exactly!

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 24 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if I'd pay ten-thou for one (unless if maybe they swallow and do windows), but there are some that would still fall into the "vintage" category instead of just "old" or "used."

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh, and Michelle Pfeiffer is a nice vintage '58, donthca think? tongue.gif

I'd hang her on my wall any day! laugh.gif

(Maybe polish her up once in awhile, change her strings occasionally... wink.gif )

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...