What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (HeteroBoy @ Apr 30 2008, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ride85 @ Apr 29 2008, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
clapton hasn't really evolved at all in 20 years.

I've noticed, sadly, that I haven't seen much from... well I can't think of really anyone.

I, as well as many people here it seems, can't imagine not continuing this ever going process of creating music and being a better guitarist. To me, a huge part of that is 'evolving'. That is, 'mastering' style to style to style.

Not to say these guitarists aren't still learning and becoming better, but I want to see Jimmy put out a Flamenco album, or Clapton to release an Eastern influenced album.
Or even Steve Beck to release a classical ablum! laugh.gif

Personally, I can't imagine just being just a 'blues guitarist'.

Ride: why do you think that Clapton has not evolved over the last 20 years. I think you are wrong. Clapton has evolved measureably over the last 20 years, and if you listen to his music over the years you will find that he has got better at what he does, and developed his style of playing to become one of the best at what he does.

HeteroBoy: What is wrong with being "just a blues guitarist" I can`t think of a better genre to be "just" at.

#22 HeteroBoy

HeteroBoy
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Original Name: HeteroBoy

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 30 2008, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've noticed, sadly, that I haven't seen much from... well I can't think of really anyone.

I, as well as many people here it seems, can't imagine not continuing this ever going process of creating music and being a better guitarist. To me, a huge part of that is 'evolving'. That is, 'mastering' style to style to style.

Not to say these guitarists aren't still learning and becoming better, but I want to see Jimmy put out a Flamenco album, or Clapton to release an Eastern influenced album.

Ride: why do you think that Clapton has not evolved over the last 20 years. I think you are wrong. Clapton has evolved measureably over the last 20 years, and if you listen to his music over the years you will find that he has got better at what he does, and developed his style of playing to become one of the best at what he does.

HeteroBoy: What is wrong with being "just a blues guitarist" I can`t think of a better genre to be "just" at.

What dadfad said about people expanding their music vocabulary but not selling it is completely true. I had thought of that but I didn't really put it in. It wasn't the point.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a blues guitarist.
I didn't think blues was a small genre.
I only chose blues because that was the subject at hand.

I just see so many people who choose one genre
and I can't imagine doing that.

I don't care what-so-ever if they do it, but I wouldn't be able to stand doing it myself.
http://moresquar.es
QUOTE (johnnynapalm @ Dec 30 2007, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fck I love the thought of someone being so bad at standing that they seriously injure their beanbags.

http://moresquar.es

#23 caprico

caprico
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Original Name: caprico

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 30 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

true that... he is still completely dedicated to what he does...

wtf is that noise?

youtube.com/user/caprico82

#24 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

I'm one of the few people who never saw what was the big deal with Clapton.

#25 kg815

kg815
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Original Name: kg815

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ May 1 2008, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to feel the same way. Then I realized I was wrong. Clapton's the real deal.

#26 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:48 PM

I'm quite sure he doesn't see any big deal w/ you either LOL

#27 Hobs911

Hobs911
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Original Name: Hobs911

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 30 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen brother.

QUOTE (ninjato @ May 2 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Burn.

Edited by Hobs911, 02 May 2008 - 08:20 AM.

Hobs911
Lloyd: When I met Mary, I got that old fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her.
Harry: That's a special feeling.
Don Knotts(July 21, 1924 February 24, 2006) Rip Barn.

#28 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (ninjato @ May 2 2008, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Voyeur alert!

#29 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

To a lot of musicians he is somewhat of a pioneer not because he was some insane godly guitarist, but because he just happened to be on the scene at the right time to make a huge impact during the 60's, much like The Beatles, Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. It was never really about the guitar skill, it was the songs itself that were the big deal, Clapton was a big song writer during that time period and is influential for it.

#30 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ May 2 2008, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To a lot of musicians he is somewhat of a pioneer not because he was some insane godly guitarist, but because he just happened to be on the scene at the right time to make a huge impact during the 60's, much like The Beatles, Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. It was never really about the guitar skill, it was the songs itself that were the big deal, Clapton was a big song writer during that time period and is influential for it.

Interesting.....what rag did you pull that one from?

#31 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (kg815 @ May 1 2008, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to feel the same way. Then I realized I was wrong. Clapton's the real deal.

Same here. There was a time when I didn't get people's obsession with him. Then it clicked. He is indeed the real deal.

#32 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (matt_theripper @ May 3 2008, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kg815 @ May 1 2008, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here. There was a time when I didn't get people's obsession with him. Then it clicked. He is indeed the real deal.

at first, I didn't even realizr 1/2 the songs I liked to listen to was Clapton. Because I came from another country, rock music was a little foreign to me at first. I didn't have an ear for it and frankly I had no clue as to who were the rock n roll greats. This caused me not to realize that Clapton was in Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, Blind Faith.......etc. So I never put the 2 together and realize it was the same guy kicking all these tunes out all these years.

In the 80's when COCAINE became a bigh hit (for the wrong reasons) I bought my first Clapton album...again not having any idea what he played, I got his 80's album JOURNEYMAN. As a newb of sorts in "rock" that album was one of my favorites for a while. Due to this it expanded my ear to grab all his other stuff, which I all oif a sudden realized DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! This dude been thru the whole thick of it and is still here kickin it!!!! Plus he didn't sell out like Aerosmith did which was a great band until the 80s w/ JAMIE GOT A GUN..which was one of the stupidest songs...JMO

Last of all, what made me see that Clapton was a consumate musician was when the unplugged album came out after his son tragically died. It was a side of Clapton and music that many were not privy too (imo), and it blew me away. This guy is versatile!!!!

Clapton may not have the fastest hands, he may be a 3 finger superstar cause he rarely uses his pinky (something many of us can relate too), his solo's maybe "simple", and he is not as "WOW" as Steve Vai or Satch or (god help me) Malmsteen, but no one more than Clapton IMO has been more instrumental in passively educating the public in the history of music not only in his releases but rather being part of that history himself.

A lot of my solo's and feel seem to sound like Clapton. Many people say my soloing is Claptonesque.....at least that is what my wife says because she is not a Clapton fan which in a way validates the comment. What I am saying is even though she is not "schooled" in the Clapton sound, people can identify his feel everytime you hear it...his tone and delivery has a certain signature to it that is unmistakenly Clapton.

JMO...suffice to say, I don't care if anybody else likes Clapton....I enjoy his music and that really should be good enough for me. I don't listen to music to please others. cheers.gif

Edited by ninjato, 03 May 2008 - 05:34 AM.

#33 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (Ninjato)
...Clapton may not have the fastest hands, he may be a 3 finger superstar cause he rarely uses his pinky (something many of us can relate to), his solo's may be "simple", and he is not as "WOW" as Steve Vai or Satch or (God help me) Malmsteen, but no one more than Clapton IMO has been more instrumental in passively educating the public in the history of music...

I agree. Well said.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#34 okiejohn

okiejohn
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Original Name: okiejohn

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:25 AM

I liked that loud power trio, Cream, when I was a kid, and Eric was "God". I think I first heard him when he was with Mayall. I had picked up a Bluesbreakers eight track and the guitar player was pretty good. biggrin.gif

I have an LP from mid 70's, called E.C. Was Here. It's my favorite Clapton, some live stuff with the Tulsa rhythm section, just six tunes, but some good stuff. Mr. Clapton can be heard shouting out the keys on Ramblin on my Mind...I always thought that was a hoot.

The man has gone from "God" to a true statesman for the music, and he's a good one.

#35 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

He isn't such a great live performer these days. I saw him live a couple of years ago and he did the same thing The Eagles do, play the songs exactly like they were originally recorded. I felt rather disappointed though because I was shelling out 150 bucks a ticket for the show and it was typical that he played all the standard tunes that made him famous like Crossroads, White Room, Layla etc. The only real difference were the extended guitar solo sections which were filled with the persistent wankery of Doyle Bramhall, a guy who does not deserve to play in Clapton's band, he kept f*cking with his amp for the whole show and was drowning out the rest of the band half the time with his back to the audience.

#36 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ May 3 2008, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He isn't such a great live performer these days.

At least he performs instead of just talking about performing.

#37 okiejohn

okiejohn
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Original Name: okiejohn

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ May 3 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He isn't such a great live performer these days. I saw him live a couple of years ago and he did the same thing The Eagles do, play the songs exactly like they were originally recorded. I felt rather disappointed though because I was shelling out 150 bucks a ticket for the show and it was typical that he played all the standard tunes that made him famous like Crossroads, White Room, Layla etc. The only real difference were the extended guitar solo sections which were filled with the persistent wankery of Doyle Bramhall, a guy who does not deserve to play in Clapton's band, he kept f*cking with his amp for the whole show and was drowning out the rest of the band half the time with his back to the audience.

Someone accused the Eagles of loitering on the stage back in the mid 70's...maybe it was a Rolling Stone article, ain't sure, but even though they didn't move around and prance like ol' skinny Mick, they sounded damn good.

I go for the music, I don't give a crap for the showboat stuff.

#38 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (ninjato @ May 3 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he may be a 3 finger superstar cause he rarely uses his pinky (something many of us can relate too),

Off topic a second...

I can relate to that a lot. For the longest time I would tuck my pinky finger back and seldom, if ever use it. Then I start playing bluegrass. It has helped my technique out a lot, especially my left hand technique. I'm still not really deft with the pinky, but I've come a long way from someone who pretty much used it for chords only.

back on topic...

Well said.

#39 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (matt_theripper @ May 3 2008, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off topic a second...

I can relate to that a lot. For the longest time I would tuck my pinky finger back and seldom, if ever use it. Then I start playing bluegrass. It has helped my technique out a lot, especially my left hand technique. I'm still not really deft with the pinky, but I've come a long way from someone who pretty much used it for chords only.

back on topic...

Well said.

LOL..I was a 3 finger player for 15 years before I started my jazz program. Do you know how hard it was to train my pinky to be able to "reach" when I played my jazz stuff? I use my pinky now as equally as I do my other fingers. I finally no longer have uncoordinated pinky issues. It was done by hours of playing scales to a metronome, which is why I am a stickler for timing now.

#40 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ May 3 2008, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (matt_theripper @ May 3 2008, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off topic a second...

back on topic...

Well said.

LOL..I was a 3 finger player for 15 years before I started my jazz program. Do you know how hard it was to train my pinky to be able to "reach" when I played my jazz stuff? I use my pinky now as equally as I do my other fingers. I finally no longer have uncoordinated pinky issues. It was done by hours of playing scales to a metronome, which is why I am a stickler for timing now.

I need to work on my scale runs a lot more. It's currently the biggest thing holding me back in my playing. I can BS it okay on electric, but once I go to play a Bluegrass number, I start sounding repetitive.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...