Boston - Rock & Roll Band

16 replies to this topic

#1 maplebaby

maplebaby
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Original Name: maplebaby

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

My son and I love this tune - anyone else cover this song? Tyring to keep some classics around and we are having fun playing together, thanks for watching, dale.

#2 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

I don't do the tune myself. You did a nice job with it, and so did your son. I used to (still do once in awhile) play with my kids when they were younger and lived at home. My daughter (who started playing when she was about four, extremely good now) and my son (started about fifteen, just a basic "strummer" and never wanted to go beyond that). Still, geat fun when you can share it with your kids. Thanks for letting us take look. And welcome to GTU.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#3 redharmony

redharmony

shreddin' the blues

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Original Name: redharmony

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

i love Boston. "something about you" is my favorite song. you guys should learn that one. and get a 2nd player biggrin.gif

I used to shred, now I draw. 

#4 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (redharmony @ Apr 30 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i love Boston. "something about you" is my favorite song. you guys should learn that one. and get a 2nd player biggrin.gif

The son goes and grabs his little sister and sits her down in a chair... "Put down that My Little Pony. Now THIS is a bass-guitar." (She nods head...) "Stand up. This is how you wear it..." (The Fender Precision pulls her down to the ground and she starts crying... ) "Crying? CRYING??? There is no crying in rock 'n roll !!!"

laugh.gif

jacksontz.jpg

#5 rasav

rasav
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Original Name: rasav

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

That was cool!
All my kid plays are horns and reeds.
Just an idea... Not an actual serving suggestion.

#6 maplebaby

maplebaby
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

thanks guys for watching and I sure appreciate the kind words! dadfad does your daughter play guitar? Something About You is a great tune - I would love to cover that one but for now one guitar and drums leaves us pretty thin! We are having fun, thanks again, dale.

#7 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

Most Boston tunes are pretty challenging, so thumbs up to you for attempting one of their awesome tunes. Tom Scholz's tone is pretty damn hard to mimmick as well, he just has this unique sound all his own, probably due to using his own custom built amps

#8 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

And here I was thinking all Boston did was 'More than a feeling' unsure.gif. Fun videos, your son has got some rhythm skills.

#9 maplebaby

maplebaby
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

thanks for taking time to watch! I agree the Boston guitar sound is distinctive and hard to copy - the guitar tracks seem to never get old to me. Appreciate the kind words, dale.

#10 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (maplebaby @ Apr 30 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks guys for watching and I sure appreciate the kind words! dadfad does your daughter play guitar? Something About You is a great tune - I would love to cover that one but for now one guitar and drums leaves us pretty thin! We are having fun, thanks again, dale.

Yes, she does. When she was about four I was in the living room trying to work out an old blues tune from a recording. She was sitting there reading the newspaper. (She was gifted.) All of a sudden she said "Dad you know what? Woo-sevelt Hotes (Roosevelt Holts -she had a lisp) pways almost wike Chuck Be-wee, except slower. And so do the Wolling Stones, except faster." (She had conceptualized the I-IV-V 12-barre progression.) Could you teach me to play guitah maybe?"

And so we started. She totally dug in. One day she was sitting on her bed crying and I asked her what was wrong. She said "How would you like to be trying to pwactice scales with fing-oos like these?" holding up her little hand. (She was small even for her age.) So that weekend we went and I bought her a mandolin and carved a new nut for it and strung it like a guitar and she really got into it. Almost every day after school until dinner, and then after homework until bedtime. Pretty soon, maybe six months or so, she got used to full-size guitars, both electric and acoustic. Of course she learned blues and classic rock mostly. At her first-grade talent-show, most of the little girls were doing Madonna or Cyndi Lauper pantomimes. She played "Summertime Blues," "Wild Thing" and "Spoonful" on a Les Paul with a Marshall stack. ("...Well I'm gonna waise a fuss, yeah I'm gonna waise a hollooo..." laugh.gif )

And she kept at it. She played and gigged in an electric band with college kids when she was in junior-high, played acoustic-solo at open-mics and minored in classical guitar at Oxford. (She earned a lot of her spending money while there busking on the street. It kept me nearly broke just paying for her tuition and board to send her there to school!) She did pretty well busking (being a young cute blonde American Girl doing old-time acoustic blues didn't hurt. She often made seventy-five or eighty dollars in an hour).

I'd sort of hoped (like a wishful-wannabee-guitarist parent might laugh.gif ) being so skilled so young, and having a great voice too (and pretty, which doesn't hurt) that she'd try giving music a go, but she wasn't interested in music as a career. She'll play the occasional coffee-shop now, or do a benefit or something, but that's about it. Musically she's kind of into old-time Appalachian and Celtic fingerstyle now.

Sorry to get off on a doting-parent thing! laugh.gif (But I'm sure you understand how it is!)

jacksontz.jpg

#11 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (maplebaby @ Apr 30 2008, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son and I love this tune - anyone else cover this song? Tyring to keep some classics around and we are having fun playing together, thanks for watching, dale.

Thats great, you and your son have something going there. He has a good sense of timing. I checked out a few of your other vids, great stuff. guitar.gif

#12 maplebaby

maplebaby
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

dadfad - that is a GREAT story - thanks for sharing it. Sounds like you have a very special daughter and you should be proud and I enjoyed hearing of her musical journey. I hope she will always continue to pull out the guitar on occasion and use that gift! Thanks for sharing.

frankyz84 - sure appreciate you taking time to watch and thanks for the kind words, dale.

#13 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

DADFAD, didn't you say your son asked you to teach him a few chords so he could impress chicks?

Edited by one_who_rocks, 30 April 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#14 maplebaby

maplebaby
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:45 AM

boy that sounds like how a whole lot of guitar players got their start!

#15 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ May 1 2008, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DADFAD, didn't you say your son asked you to teach him a few chords so he could impress chicks?

laugh.gif Yeah. When he was about fifteen he came up to me and said "Dad, will you teach me how to play guitar? Now before you get your hopes up or anything, I don't wanna get really good. I just wanna learn enough to play a few things so girls will think I'm cool. You know, like at a party or the beach or something. I don't wanna be good or anything."

And so I taught him his open chords and then a few simplified tunes like "Hey Joe," "Yellow Submarine," "Just Like a Woman" (He said that one turned out to be a chick-magnet tune, even without him playing the bridge. Haha!). Over the years he's asked me once in awhile to "upgrade his repertoire" a little. Like "Your Body is a Wonderland," a very simplified "Sex and Candy," etc. Once he was after this girl who was into Janis Joplin so he wanted to learn "Me and Bobby McGee."

Musically now he's kind of into (Dadfad hangs his head in shame...)... Electronica. blush.gif

(It's kind of a shame. He has those "perfect guitar fingers" that guys like me with "paws" would sell our soul for.)

So anyway he knows about eight chords. laugh.gif

jacksontz.jpg

#16 Hobs911

Hobs911
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Original Name: Hobs911

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

Father and son band I feel you. The "mammas and the papas" forget that "the father and the son" a tribute to boston.

Hobs911
Lloyd: When I met Mary, I got that old fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her.
Harry: That's a special feeling.
Don Knotts(July 21, 1924 February 24, 2006) Rip Barn.

#17 maplebaby

maplebaby
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

thanks for the kind words! we appreciate you watching, dale.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...