- - - - -

how's the economy where you are, GTUers?

36 replies to this topic

#1 richey

richey
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,159 posts
  • Original Name: richey

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

Are we still allowed to say GTUers? Maybe it's GZers! Hmm.

How's the economy doing where you are? This should be an interesting one. There's plenty of Brits here and I know the score: the government are making huge cuts and have raised VAT, killing demand in the economy and putting loads of people on the dole when there's no jobs, and basing growth figures on exports at a time of a crisis in the Eurozone. Ridiculously optimistic from a rookie Thatcherite Chancellor with an unhealthy obsession with 'crowding out theory', this is less responsible economics and more faith healing, meaning that growth is slowing to a painful, frightening halt and we're staring down the barrel of a double-dip recession. Hmm.

It'd be interesting to hear any Europeans' take on this, although I don't think there are any, for obvious language-related reasons. And the Americans? Intriguing. From what I can see, Barack Obama has tried to promote growth with a stimulus but is increasingly frustrated by right-wing Republicans determined to cut taxes. They're bonkers. I haven't heard anything about Canada since the election of a Tory majority (commiserations) and the death of Layton (deepest condolences). Where does this leave the NDP? Could be a whole other thread in itself.
My anger is a form of madness
And so I'd rather have hope than sadness

#2 James_Coolidge

James_Coolidge

Faithfucked Believer

• GZ Regular
  • 26,514 posts
  • Original Name: James_Coolidge

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

Montana: Shit's expensive. Everyone's broke. Everyone's pissed.

Edited by James_Coolidge, 29 September 2011 - 03:30 PM.

9fPfK.jpg

I can't think of anything to say,
Except, I think it's marvelous...

http://reesehoeg.bandcamp.com

#3 wooooogiecrisp

wooooogiecrisp

breakfast of schmucks

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,972 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: woggie

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

i have a job that allows me to buy toys and pay bills so i dont give a shit anymore

Follow @McWoggie to the gates of Hell. We're gonna ding-dong ditch them!

#4 Evil Midnight Bomber

Evil Midnight Bomber

what bombs at Midnight.

• 39,281 posts
  • Original Name: Major_Major_

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

GZers sounds like it should be pronounced Geezers. which makes me feel old.

Also, I haven't really been paying attention to the economy .
Posted Image
A man goes to the doctor. Says he's depressed. He says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. The doctor says "The treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him, that should pick you up." The man bursts into tears. He says "But doctor... I am Pagliacci."

#5 Seán

Seán

the one that slowly burns

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,654 posts
  • Original Name: seanpopowczak

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

my town is the most unemployed in the province. i got a temp job selling really terrible collectibles over the phone. old people call me and demand little porcelain kittens and shit like that. it's not the worst i could get up to for sure, but then who knows how long i can drag it out.

i think the NDP are going to be almost alright, considering their leader died which is way better than letting his party down horribly like in the case of the Liberals. without the Liberal party who suffered really badly this last time around the NDP are the biggest opposition so even if they flounder for a bit getting sorted it won't convince anyone to vote Conservative instead.

everyone is bitches

#6 Spongeyguy

Spongeyguy

Forum Sponge

• GZ Regular
  • 25,094 posts
  • Original Name: spongeyguy

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

my town is the most unemployed in the province. i got a temp job selling really terrible collectibles over the phone. old people call me and demand little porcelain kittens and shit like that. it's not the worst i could get up to for sure, but then who knows how long i can drag it out.

i think the NDP are going to be almost alright, considering their leader died which is way better than letting his party down horribly like in the case of the Liberals. without the Liberal party who suffered really badly this last time around the NDP are the biggest opposition so even if they flounder for a bit getting sorted it won't convince anyone to vote Conservative instead.

Plus they have until 2015 to recover....

Also, I don't know about the economy. The News tells me it's bad, but I'm not a stock broker so I don't really know...
Let's get dangerous!

#7 Seán

Seán

the one that slowly burns

• GZ Regular
  • 20,654 posts
  • Original Name: seanpopowczak

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

The Economy is a myth.

everyone is bitches

#8 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

i have a job that allows me to buy toys and pay bills so i dont give a shit anymore

This is the positive atitude that we need

GZers sounds like it should be pronounced Geezers. which makes me feel old.

I am old

The Economy is a myth.

Possibly so.

As a builder this has been my best year out of the last three. The Torys finaly seem to have sorted out the problems caused by the overpaid public sector, with there made up jobs, parasiting on the real workers.

#9 waz416

waz416
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,374 posts
  • Original Name: waz416

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:41 AM

its ok...jobs still available in Austin TX USA. ......ppl doin alright....TX has traditionally been a safer job market in USA due to innovative, technology adn innovative industries based here......we have AMD, Intel, Dell, 6 Universities and being a state capital lots of state jobs......so all in all....its a nice place to be.....past 3 or so years we've seena in influx from a huge California population......lots of Jobs now occupied by as we affectionately call'em "CALI YUPPIES "......hahahaha........PEAC EOUT
My Itunes Album : BUY IT <a href="http://www.apple.com...e.com/wasim</a>

#10 richey

richey
  • 34,159 posts
  • Original Name: richey

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

Also, I don't know about the economy. The News tells me it's bad, but I'm not a stock broker so I don't really know...

<_< This affects everyone.

On the NDP, I meant that the huge rise in support for NDP, knocking the Liberals into 3rd place, seems to have been based more than anything on support from one charismatic leader (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if any other leader could sustain that.

As a builder this has been my best year out of the last three. The Torys finaly seem to have sorted out the problems caused by the overpaid public sector, with there made up jobs, parasiting on the real workers.

What a load of shit.
My anger is a form of madness
And so I'd rather have hope than sadness

#11 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:09 AM

Well excuse me for having an opinion.

#12 Spongeyguy

Spongeyguy

Forum Sponge

• GZ Regular
  • 25,094 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

<_< This affects everyone.

On the NDP, I meant that the huge rise in support for NDP, knocking the Liberals into 3rd place, seems to have been based more than anything on support from one charismatic leader (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if any other leader could sustain that.

I know it effects everyone, but not everyone understands the complexities of the system. I can understand it when it's boiled down to what the news tells you, but my education is not in economics or public policy, or anything like that, so anything I tell you is more likely to be a disservice to the truth...

Example: I don't have a job, therefore the economy is bad.

What a load of shit.

+1.
Let's get dangerous!

#13 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

I'm making lots of dosh, therefore the economy is great. I'm making so much that i've just bought another house to rent out. Ha

#14 Orchestrazia Ardwick

Orchestrazia Ardwick

The most inept that ever stepped

• GZ Regular
  • 63,207 posts
  • Original Name: el_burton

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Well, I have a permanent job, which I'm grateful for. My company is in the unusual position of actually expanding at the moment as well - however bad the economy is, people are always going to have cancer. The pharma industry hasn't been totally unscathed, far from it (AstraZeneca just shed thousands of jobs, and we've taken on a few people from various other companies that have laid people off), but hopefully my job is at least a little secure with big contracts still coming in.

Other than that, prices are going up, and the general atmosphere is gloomy.

cheryl.gif

#15 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

Building trade had it bad 3 yrs ago. This good run might not last, so make hay while it's sunny. I think what's helping this area is that JCB are doing well again.

#16 Dennoire

Dennoire
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Original Name: Dennoire

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

The aussie dollar has slipped below the US dollar again, which im burning about. All good overall though, my government pays me $250 a week to study music, which covers my rent, bills, food and booze. I just finished for the year yesterday, get 5 months off, and still get paid over the holidays.

Might get a job over the summer maybe. Or maybe ill just sit on the couch and watch cricket.

#17 Blugh Grant

Blugh Grant

Played by Adrien Brody

• 46,570 posts
  • Original Name: blueswannabe

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

Well, I have a permanent job, which I'm grateful for. My company is in the unusual position of actually expanding at the moment as well - however bad the economy is, people are always going to have cancer. The pharma industry hasn't been totally unscathed, far from it (AstraZeneca just shed thousands of jobs, and we've taken on a few people from various other companies that have laid people off), but hopefully my job is at least a little secure with big contracts still coming in.

Other than that, prices are going up, and the general atmosphere is gloomy.

YOU'RE PROFITING FROM CANCER YOU EVIL BASTARD
Posted Image

there seems to be an objective reality that a determined individual can penetrate if he is willing to challenge the confining chimeras of markets and machines

It was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice

http://theonlythingy...d.blogspot.com/

#18 Orchestrazia Ardwick

Orchestrazia Ardwick

The most inept that ever stepped

• GZ Regular
  • 63,207 posts
  • Original Name: el_burton

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Only because there's no money in AIDS these days.

cheryl.gif

#19 Spongeyguy

Spongeyguy

Forum Sponge

• GZ Regular
  • 25,094 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

AIDS isn't even a death sentence anymore..... :(

...in this country...
Let's get dangerous!

#20 wooooogiecrisp

wooooogiecrisp

breakfast of schmucks

• Ombudsman
  • 73,972 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: woggie

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

we are all dying. its just a matter of degree

Follow @McWoggie to the gates of Hell. We're gonna ding-dong ditch them!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...