- - - - -

New or Upgrade...Feeling the need to change up my guitar. New or upgrade?

upgrade change new guitar old guitar electric squier strat affinity indonesian made

4 replies to this topic

#1 7eguitar

7eguitar
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: 7eguitar

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

I currently own an Indonesian made, Squire Strat Affinity with original SSS pickups. It is the only electric I have owned in my 6 years of playing. I do love the guitar, but am not at all opposed to buying a new one. I don't have much money, but will save up to buy what ever I decide on. Should I upgrade my current guitar or spring for a new better quality one? If I upgrade my current guitar does anyone have some good recommendations for upgrades? I play a lot of rock, but am no stranger to blues. I know this question has been asked a lot, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask one more time.

Thanks!!

#2 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

I bought an affinity recently and it wasn't a bad guitar. There's a bit or snobbery associated with the fact that it is 40mm thick instead of 45, but does that really make much difference? I don't know.
Mine was Chinese. The neck is fine, very good in fact. I've added a Seymour Duncan little 59 to the bridge position and that has transformed the guitar.
It all depends what you want to spend.

#3 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,508 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Personally, I'd go with a new one, but that's just me. I personally, don't see the point in upgrading a cheaper guitar. At the end of the day, it might sound better, but it's still just a Squier.

I know that may sound snobby, and Squier have made some excellent guitars, but I still can't see the point.

#4 harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Shithead Extraordinair

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,107 posts
  • Original Name: harrumph

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

At the end of the day, the only difference between a MIM Fender (which plenty of people play with good results) and an upper-end Squier is going to be electronics and a few minor workmanship flaws. My Chinese-made Squier Classic Vibe plays just as good (IMO better, but that's debatable) as my buddy's American Deluxe, except two things: 1. It goes out of tune when I flop on the whammy, and 2. It's tone leaves something to be desired.

So, it being my project guitar anyway, I'm swapping the pups and pots and input jack and selector switch to solve the tone issue and putting a TUSQ nut and saddles on it. Other than that, it's really a fine piece of work - well fretted, good intonation across the board, plenty of sustain, and the paint job is top notch.

Edited by harrumphicus, 01 March 2012 - 09:49 PM.

An asshole and a scholar, from my gentleman to my collar.

#5 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

I've played some good Squier's.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade, change, new guitar, old guitar, electric, squier, strat, affinity, indonesian, made

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...