- - - - -

Gibson Les Paul or Fender StratocasterWhat do you prefer ?

Gibson Les Paul Fender Stratocaster

40 replies to this topic

#21 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,504 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:13 AM

Me? Nah, sorry mate, I'm a lefty. I was just curious as to what sort of money people are looking for, for second hand guitars these days?

#22 Deko

Deko
  • 34 posts
  • Original Name: DekoLP

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Dave how much is the black Strat ?

#23 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

No mate, not the black one. lol. That's the best strat in the world.

#24 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Well......Hello, you :)

Hello you too.

I haven't seen an HMB post in a while!

I've floated by every once in a while but haven't really felt as inclined to jump into the forums as I used to, seems a lot quieter round here now.

Mr HMB, how the devil are you?

I'm fine thanks. Not putting as many guitar-hours in as I used to and am severely rusty as a result, picked up my Tele the other day for the first time in months and struggled to get my fingers going where I wanted them to. Not that I was ever a great guitarist to begin with mind.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#25 Deko

Deko
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

No mate, not the black one. lol. That's the best strat in the world.

I was only interested in the price, not buying it :D

#26 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

It's not worth that much. It's an early 90's Japanese Squire. It's not got those pickiups on now. It has Dimarzio sds1's.
That's why it's not for sale, because it's not worth as much as guitars it's better than.

#27 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I might be having a new guitar tomorow. If the guy brings me cash for the Mustang.

#28 Deko

Deko
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I might be having a new guitar tomorow. If the guy brings me cash for the Mustang.

I got to admit it you are one lucky guy :)

#29 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Yes and no. If I was lucky I wouldn't have to sell the Mustang. But a can't buy my new one unless I sell my Mustang and the LP. I'm not fussed about the LP but the Mustang is nice.

#30 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

Well......Hello, you :)

Hello you too.

I haven't seen an HMB post in a while!

I've floated by every once in a while but haven't really felt as inclined to jump into the forums as I used to, seems a lot quieter round here now.

Mr HMB, how the devil are you?

I'm fine thanks. Not putting as many guitar-hours in as I used to and am severely rusty as a result, picked up my Tele the other day for the first time in months and struggled to get my fingers going where I wanted them to. Not that I was ever a great guitarist to begin with mind.

Hello Andy,

I've seen you pass through the site once in awhile lately like a burglar in the night! Good to see you back.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#31 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thanks. Good to see some of the familiar faces are still around.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#32 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Have had some Rory Gallagher on in the car lately, hadn't listened to much in a long while and it was a reminder of how brilliant he was. If anyone was ever in doubt as to the potential versatility and quality of a Strat in the right hands then his live Irish Tour (1974) and Live In Europe (1972) albums are worth a listen.
The Modulator

#33 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm having a Jaguar tomorrow. Very much into the Fender sound at the moment.

#34 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

It's not worth that much. It's an early 90's Japanese Squire. It's not got those pickiups on now. It has Dimarzio sds1's.
That's why it's not for sale, because it's not worth as much as guitars it's better than.

Shame you changed the pickups, it would be worth a lot more, them jap Squires are well sort after, i am gutted i did not hang on to the two i had.

#35 doosh baggins

doosh baggins

This is not a paying gig Per Se

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
  • Original Name: seanm18

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I would have probably said the Les Paul back when I still cared about six strings. I wouldn't trade my J Bass for any other guitar.
Go easy on the drunken idiot, he's got fluoride in his water. -Blues

#36 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks. Good to see some of the familiar faces are still around.

Old habits die hard. :sadbuttrue:

So what you been up to and Andrew, married? Single? living together? umm, have you made your first million yet? all these questions and many more. Just good to see you are still about. :yes:

#37 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Shame you changed the pickups, it would be worth a lot more, them jap Squires are well sort after, i am gutted i did not hang on to the two i had.

Still got the original pups too Rick. This ones 90's, not as collectable as the earlier ones, but still great.

#38 harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Shithead Extraordinair

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,107 posts
  • Original Name: harrumph

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Owned a Gibby LP Studio for about..10 months or so, I think. I found a used Fender Tele for cheap about 3 months later and may as well have welded the LP into its case for good. I think it's just the scale length that bugs me, though. The strings seem too chunky and wobbly for my taste.

My favorite guitar now, though, is my Chinese Squier Strat. Just completely rewired it with new pots, selector switch and jack as well as some Fender Noisless single coils. It's gotten quite a bit hotter and yet more mellow than those cheapo stock pups, and I haven't been able to put it down since. I ordered a Mighty Mite maple neck and a custom headstock decal that says "Maravilha" (Portugese for "amazing" :D ) to finish up the project for now.

An asshole and a scholar, from my gentleman to my collar.

#39 -ism

-ism
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Original Name: -ism

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Back when I was a GTUer, I used to only "endorse" (:D, LOL) Fender Stratocasters. Also, I remember the only Gibson I've ever liked was this Ebony LP that was priced around $3000-$4000 new. I thought Les Pauls didn't sound good; they were overrated in my mind.

But over the years, I was fortunate enough to play on few wicked Les Paul guitars. It really blew my mind how these guitars sounded. I still do like Fender Strats and would probably prefer them over any brand if I really had to pick out one axe, but I'm slowly gearing towards Les Pauls.

Whenever I can afford one (I've been saying that close to 10 years now...:S) I will pick up a nice sounding Les Paul.

#40 Deko

Deko
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Back when I was a GTUer, I used to only "endorse" ( :D, LOL) Fender Stratocasters. Also, I remember the only Gibson I've ever liked was this Ebony LP that was priced around $3000-$4000 new. I thought Les Pauls didn't sound good; they were overrated in my mind.

But over the years, I was fortunate enough to play on few wicked Les Paul guitars. It really blew my mind how these guitars sounded. I still do like Fender Strats and would probably prefer them over any brand if I really had to pick out one axe, but I'm slowly gearing towards Les Pauls.

Whenever I can afford one (I've been saying that close to 10 years now...:S) I will pick up a nice sounding Les Paul.

I agree with every word u say mate ! I love the LP sound ( L O V E ) !!! It provides the sound that i always wanted to hear :) Definitely when i can afford a Gibson Les Paul i will buy one ! :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...