- - - - -

Applying a waterslide decal?to finish up my custom job.

8 replies to this topic

#1 harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Shithead Extraordinair

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,107 posts
  • Original Name: harrumph

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

I've got a custom waterslide decal and some micro-sol solution on order for my strat project guitar, but I have no idea how to go about applying this. Anyone have any experience/insight on how to apply the decal or how the micro-sol works?

An asshole and a scholar, from my gentleman to my collar.

#2 CrazyCal

CrazyCal
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Original Name: CrazyCal

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

I've done this lots, but my method is self taught, and therefore may not be technically correct. The first attempt came out wrong, the slide stayed white and looked awful.
Then i bought a neck from an e Bayer who had done a lovely job. I mailed him and he was a very nice and helpful fella.
I wasn't sealing the wood, before applying the transfer. The instructions said i didn't need to, but my new friend new better.
The method i now use is; Seal the wood with a varnish or similar, soak water slide for about a minute. Remove from backing and apply to head stock, allow to dry and spray over with a cellulose lacquer.

#3 harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Shithead Extraordinair

• GZ Regular
  • 19,107 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

I heard that in the 60's and 70's Fender didn't lacquer over their headstock decals - seeing as how I don't have any lacquer (or more importantly, a safe place to apply the lacquer since I'm currently living on a warship) do you think it would be safe for a couple months? Or could I maybe wax and polish over it after it dries? I really can't have any aerosols or finishing materials onboard.

#4 CrazyCal

CrazyCal
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

The lacquer makes the water slide paper go transparent. Otherwise it looks like you've printed the decal on white paper, and stuck it on. There may be another way of doing it. This is just what I do.

#5 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,998 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Wait till you get back home, and then apply it, if you don't lacquer it over, it could start to peel off.

#6 harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Shithead Extraordinair

• GZ Regular
  • 19,107 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

From the description of micro-sol on the site I'm using ( sentinelcustomgraphics.com - no affiliation, just posting for future reference), it dissolves the decal to the point where it actually becomes part of the finish.

#7 CrazyCal

CrazyCal
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'd be interested to hear how that works, because it sounds a good idea.
My original instructions told me that coating, first with Turpentine would do that , but it didn't work.

Edited by CrazyCal, 19 April 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#8 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,108 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

If you decide to put on the decal and leave it on without a clear top-coat until a better time to spray a clear finish, don't wax or wax and polish it. The wax will prevent the top-coat from adhering properly when you do spray it.

I've used decals before as well as clear-coating restored hand-painted or stencilled logos, etc. Spray several very (stress: very) light coats, allowing each to dry thoroughly before doing another one. Spray from a distance so that the coating is almost semi-dry when it hits. (Less chance of deteriorating, dissolving or running the decal or touch-up.) After several of those very light coats (when you know the decal/touch-up has been completely covered and is thoroughly dry), then you can apply a heavier coat or two (or more if required to "bury" the decal) which will then blend in with those lighter coats for a smoother glossier finish. And, if you do want or need to polish it, rub it out or wax it after that, let it completely dry thoroughly (as in a week or two) before you do.

B/t/w... Whenever you put a new finish on a guitar for whatever reason, you might always want to make sure the solvent in the new finish is compatible with the old one in some out-of-the-way place, like under the pickguard, etc.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#9 harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Shithead Extraordinair

• GZ Regular
  • 19,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

I've decided to go an alternate route and try a method I just "invented". I'm going to scratch the design into the finish in a kind-of cross-hatching pattern and use a black grease pen and rub it into the scratches. Wipe away the excess and voila! I tried it out on a tiny bit of wood under my pickguard and it works well. The scratches are filled pretty smoothly, and it wipes away clean.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...