3 replies to this topic

#1 lowden

lowden
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Original Name: lowden

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Jon Lord, the former keyboard player with the rock band Deep Purple, has died aged 71.
He had been receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer since last August.
Lord, who co-wrote many of Deep Purple's legendary songs, including Smoke On The Water, played with many bands and musicians throughout his career.
A statement issued by his publicist said he died at the London Clinic on Monday, surrounded by his family.
Lord founded Deep Purple in 1968, and the band went on to become one of the world's most popular rock bands.
Deep Purple split in 1976, but after reforming in 1984 the band had six studio albums and performed concerts all over the world, with album sales in excess of 150 million units.
Born in Leicester on 9 June, 1941, Jon Lord began playing piano, taking classical music lessons from a very early age.
He received a scholarship to drama school in London at the age of 19, during which time he began playing jazz and rhythm and blues in pub gigs.
Lord retired from Deep Purple in 2002.

#2 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Sad to see him go. I saw them in 1968. (And spent a psychedelic eternity once listening to his solo on "Hush.") (A lyric-line of which got me into Blind Boy Fuller.)

I wouldn't have thought he was quite that old. (Time flies...)

He contributed much to the world of rock. May he truly rest in peace.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#3 lowden

lowden
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Original Name: lowden

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Thanks John, nice to know 2 of us care. the youth might not understand the power of a distorted hammod organ, through a leslie cab, but if they bothered to listen beyond the guitar, they might find the basis of a successful band.

Edited by lowden, 27 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#4 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thanks John, nice to know 2 of us care. the youth might not understand the power of a distorted hammod organ, through a leslie cab, but if they bothered to listen beyond the guitar, they might find the basis of a successful band.

Yes, Conan. Deep Purple (assuming one can go beyond "Smoke of the Water" :lol: ) was extremely innovative, even for those late-60s-early-70s days of tremendous musical innovation from many directions. I give their album "The Book of Taliesyn" credit for truly opening my mind up to the use of... "outside the norm" scalular work on the guitar. And of course while it was Blackmore's guitar, Jon Lord was instrumental (no pun intended!) in creating their musical direction and innovation.

"... the power of a distorted hammond organ through a leslie cab,.."

To wax nostalgic and borrow a phrase from that bygone era...

"Those were the days... Miracles everywhere, where are they now? They're gone..."

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...