- - - - -

Are gear 4 bass guitars any good?Looking to buy a bass guitar- what do you make of the gear 4 ones?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Pigeon1

Pigeon1
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Pigeon1

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

I would very much like to learn the bass guitar and am looking to buy one, I saw a gear 4 package (which included an amp, lead strap and guitar) for £80. It is 6 months old, do you think this make of guitars is a good one? Is it worth the money? I've read a few good things about these guitars but I would like to be sure before buying. Thanks.

#2 Jiveturkey

Jiveturkey

Barrazmus!

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,403 posts
  • Original Name: Jiveturkey

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

I've played a rickenbacker copy by them. While it wasn't the best guitar, but for sub £100 guitar it wasn't bad at all. For a first bass and only £80 you really can't go wrong. Most important thing is that it feels good in your hands. The nicer she plays, the more hours you'll put in.

#3 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'd sooner get a Squier Standard Jazz Bass package and save myself the trouble of using a really crappy instrument. And the Squier kits are pretty good, so long as they aren't the Affinity models.

#4 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,998 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

I'd sooner get a Squier Standard Jazz Bass package and save myself the trouble of using a really crappy instrument. And the Squier kits are pretty good, so long as they aren't the Affinity models.

In part i would agree with smashy (OMG twice in one year). BUT, you are looking at spending 3 or 4 times as much, for that you are better off spending the 80 quid, and have done with it. You will be buying a guitar that is every bit as good as a cheap Squier, or comparable makes. You are a beginner, and you may decide that bass is not for you, and decide to sell the bass. You will loose a lot less, than you would trying to sell a brand new Squier, whose value depreciates by a 100 quid the instant you step outside the shop. Buy this guitar, and see how you get on, if you are still playing after a year, then go out and buy yourself something you are gonna stick with for a few years, and keep the cheap one as a backup.

#5 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Of course, one must try before buying. With cheaper instruments it's just as true as with the expensive ones, if it feels like crap in your hands, especially your fretting hand, it's not worth the money since you would want to get it set to be more comfortable, especially the frets which I have noticed on many of the budget brand bass guitars are really really sketchy and feel rough on the palm of the fretting hand.

#6 doosh baggins

doosh baggins

This is not a paying gig Per Se

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
  • Original Name: seanm18

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

It depends how interested you are. I was willing to pay for an awesome bass when I bought my first and it was well worth the money. But I already knew I was going to stick with it when I bought it. My bass was right for me. You gotta decide if your bass is right for you. If not, dont buy it. Theres plenty of great sounding, cheap basses out there.
Go easy on the drunken idiot, he's got fluoride in his water. -Blues

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...