* * * * * 3 votes

Woogieramafor what which him to find his way back to.

18353 replies to this topic

#18341 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,818 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:53 AM

we should touch butts actually.

if you want to keep playing the whose nationalism is creepier game, you can feel free to note that the russian national anthem is usually played once per year (on day one). Some schools have moved to playing it once per week, which is so weird for russians that it made the newspaper (

anyway, what was that about rockets exploding in air ? must be nothing, back to bombing people i guess. 

and yes lol i can read cyrillic. you might be interested to know our named start with Ds in russian because they have no J. 

https://meduza.io/en/news/2015/06/11/russia-s-national-anthem-could-become-required-listening-in-schools

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#18342 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,108 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:44 AM

Actually, the line "...and the rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air..." in the US national anthem was in reference to British rockets and bombs in their failed attempt to capture Fort McHenry and take the city of Baltimore, as witnessed by Francis Scott Key from a ship in Baltimore Harbor, author of the anthem. Their failure to do so is usually considered the turning point in the War of 1812.

Comrade Sixie, we can keep on trying to out-nationalism each other, "my nationalism is bigger than your nationalism"  (even though of course you're a Canadian, not a Russian) and just agree to disagree. You're a Communist and a Russophile and I'm not. I just hope Russia can properly deal with the millions, over a million in this year alone, who try to illegaly cross the border into their country looking for a better life. Whoopsie... Oh yeah. Sorry about that. My mistake! :laugh2:

Added: "...you might be interested to know our names start with D in Russian because they have no J..."

While I can't read Cyrillic, in elementary school I learned, on my own, the Cyrillic alphabet and the pronunciations of the characters. Back then I found the pronunciation of some of the more unusual sounding characters, like "cha" and "shacha," interesting. (Merely kind of similar pronunciations on my part from memory. I forgot most of what I learned about it when I'd finally decided it was fairly unlikely Comrade Khrushchev was going to bury us.)

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#18343 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,818 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:25 AM

Stirring tune. War of 1812 was a good one. Family was parcelled some land for participating (so you are welcome for the rockets!). 

I really hate that I feel this way, but I'm getting the feeling you're just posting your feelings without knowing much about Russian/CIS immigration. Russia has had incredible immigration problems - and this is Russia, please recall that Soviet Union ended 30 years ago. Putin has done plenty over the years to remove workers from former CIS countries - with numbers of what they call "illegal" immigrants shrinking possibly as much as 2 million in the last 10 years. In terms of scale, just see the difference between san salvador and almaty. People from CIS are running to jobs, but not often running away from anything, unlike central/ south america. It's a really bad analogy . However Russians (the new nationalistic kind, not the Soviet man) beat the shit out of Uzbeks the same way American nationalists beat the shit out of Mexicans, "legal" or not. You won't find me disagreeing that trying to out-nationalism each other is stupid - nationalism has killed more than any other -ism could dream of.  

and yeah cyrillic is super easy. it's very russian i.e. the letters are bad at making other sounds but really good at making russian sounding sounds, like you discovered with щ shch. Most russians will learn roman alphabet concurrently because transliteration into cyrillic sometimes doesn't quite have what you need (like no J!). One friend did deride westerners for not learning to even sound out basic things before visiting , but i don't think there's any contest happening on that one !!

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#18344 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,108 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 19 August 2021 - 05:07 AM

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, Sixie.

One note (and not a dispute between us, just a note). A lot of non-Americans, more often Europeans, like to kid Americans about how most of them only speak English. There are a couple of logical reasons why that's often the case. The first is that the European continent is roughly 3.9 million square miles. If traveling 2,500 miles or so from one end of the continent (say Lisbon, Portugal) to the other (Moscow or Volgograd, Russia) the traveler would need to be fairly fluent in maybe four or five languages as he moves through country to country, each with its own language. On the other hand, the US (roughly 3.8 million square miles) requires only one language (English) while traveling 3,270 miles from one coast (Bangor, Maine or New York City) to the other (San Diego, California or Seattle, Washington), so historically there was no need to learn another language for travel or business. Europeans historically generally learned several languages out of necessity if they wanted to travel or do business with those in another European nation, sometimes even just a few miles/kilometers away, for example just between France and Spain.

This is changing, for example most Americans anywhere near the southern border and in most major cities have at least a working-knowledge of Spanish. In Canada I'm sure many English-speaking Canadians, especially in Eastern Ontario and Quebec have a working knowledge of Quebecois French. And of course all of this is changing with the availability of instant translation devices, etc. where the need to speak foreign languages fluently diminishes.

(Myself, I only speak English and Latin, which has grown quite rusty over the years.) (But you never know when you might run into an ancient Roman!)

(And enough Spanish to greet some of my neighbors. Or get myself in trouble in Laredo, Juarez or Tijuana! :lol: )

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#18345 Derfio Naharis

Derfio Naharis

The thing that should not expect to be.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Original Name: Mr. Miles

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:25 PM

This poor, quiet GTU. How I miss the echoes of your once lively halls yada yada. 

Though, if Wogman were still alive, I'm sure he would say I'm being an overly nostalgic cunt and those halcyon days were shit, which fair enough I guess. 

Whatever.

#18346 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,753 posts
  • Original Name: GilmourIsGod

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:53 PM

I just so cannot even.

I need a harem.

#18347 kuger

kuger

Girth Traction

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Original Name: kuger

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:43 PM

Quiet, but still functional..

Brought a smile seeing this thread at the top.

There's nothing like a hot milkshake on a cold day.

Life's a journey, not a destination. - Aerosmith

#18348 Derfio Naharis

Derfio Naharis

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:00 PM

That is not dead which can eternal lie!

Tell that to my lying wife ba dum tss wait, I think I just accidentally made a murder joke. Totes ghoulish. Ah well, no ones ever gonna believe someone would marry me anyway.

Whatever.

#18349 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• 64,753 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:35 AM

So you're married then?

#18350 Derfio Naharis

Derfio Naharis

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:08 PM

nah dog. What about you?

Whatever.

#18351 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• 64,753 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:52 PM

Might as well be. Baby girl coming in January

#18352 Derfio Naharis

Derfio Naharis

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:57 PM

Oh shit, congrats man. Or I'm so sorry, depending on where you're at with that. May your child be chill as fuck etc. 

Whatever.

#18353 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• 64,753 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:05 PM

Yeah I'm gonna eat the baby

As one does

#18354 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• 64,753 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

If the multiverse theory is real then there must exist at least one universe in which it is not real.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...