Wanted. Acoustic guitar tunesGuitar tunes

Acoustic tunes solo acoustic guitar

5 replies to this topic

#1 mikky

mikky
  • 80 posts
  • Original Name: mikky

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'm looking for acoustic guitar tunes on You Tube etc, that I can learn and play as a solo acoustic guitar player. I play a few tunes, that I will list, but I could do with a few more. I'm competent, but have limits to what I can do, so not tapping style, or anything extremely elaborate. I play; Braun-yr-Aur & Black Mountain Side (Jimmy Page) Bert Jansch whistle.png

Mood for a day (Yes) and that's about it. Would love to do a few more, and look forward to hearing your ideas.

Cheers Mike

#2 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Friend of the Devil comes to mind.

Really though, any song can be turned acoustic.  My band is doing acoustic covers of classic rock and classic country tunes at the moment (to better fit into the brewery/coffee house venues).  We are doing everything from Chuck Berry and SRV to Dwight Yokam and Hank Williams Jr.  Most of the songs are not really "acoustic" tunes, but it's not hard to make them into something more like that. 

Here are some of my favorite songs to play solo acoustic style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5il83j4kO8

#3 mikky

mikky
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

Thank you Matt. Re-jigging existing tunes is certainly one way of doing it, though not sure I'm very good at doing that?

Tony Rice is a brilliant guitarist :guitar:

Happy to hear any other ideas.

Cheers Mike

#4 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

Personally I'd favour taking a non-acoustic song, and playing it acoustically. The possibilities are endless, and you'll be appreciated a lot more. And it's more fun trying to figure out ways of doing it to make it sound good.

At least that's my experience of it.

#5 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Sometimes playing solo acoustic gigs at venues that were not blues-specific, I felt I had to be able to do a fairly broad spectrum of requests when necessary through several different genres and popular artists of those genres. I also found I could choose a tune or two from each, in whatever genre or artist, and re-arrange it to how I wanted it to be, more to my style.

One example might be Jimi Hendrix (an often called-out "Dooo sum Hendrix..."  :yes:  ). "Purple Haze" might be tough to pull off as a decent solo acoustic tune, but I did my own more solo acoustic "bluesified" arrangements of "Hey Joe" and "The Wind Cries Mary"  and they always worked pretty well. Just one example. Same thing for... whatever.... Hank Williams (Sr.)... or... Bob Seger

Also it makes you feel pretty good when between sets sometimes somebody comes up and says something like "Man, I really liked your version of  "__________" a lot."

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#6 mikky

mikky
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Also it makes you feel pretty good when between sets sometimes somebody comes up and says something like "Man, I really liked your version of  "__________" a lot."

I'm still waiting for that :cwy:

Just joking. It is indeed nice to be appreciated.

Mike

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...