5 replies to this topic

#1 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: Gone Gone

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

I am looking for help as to how I can repair my acoustic countryman guitar please. The head has been worn down to the wood in several areas and  I have used a wood stain pen to cover over the area. I don't feel happy with it and want to blend the layers properly together and re paint it. I am unsure what to buy. I looked at various things from wax to varnish and laquer touch up pots.

I am unsure what the original finish is.DSCF4330_zpskssr4tsd.jpgDSCF4327_zpsfhzdaerz.jpgDSCF4326_zpsmxuwdnvn.jpg

I love my guitar so, I don't want to leave it in the state it is. I have had it a longtime.

Second problem is the neck where the 43mm bone nut is.I feel it's not laying correcting in the neck.

the base of guitar looks like scratches but it's actually polish and finger marks only ;-)

Edited by GraceUK, 24 March 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#2 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

I didn't receive any replies but, I did find someone else who is going to help me with the finish so all is ok.

#3 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:31 AM

Hi Grace,

Sorry you didn't receive any replies. We used to have a couple of expert guitar luthiers on GZ that could give you top notch advice, but it seems they don't come around here any more. I hope this doesn't discourage you, and hope you stick around our little community. There are still a lot of very knowledgeable folk here who are more than happy to help with any other advice you may need :) 

#4 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Thank you Nealio, I wish you a Happy Easter and I will look round the forums soon ;-)

#5 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Sorry I missed this. I usually watch for acoustic guitar posts but missed it.

You've probably done the right thing by letting someone more familiar with guitar repairs do it.

The finish (as it appears to be an older instrument) is probably nitro-cellulose lacquer. It can be found in the US at Stewart-MacDonalds (stewmac.com) with lots of other luthier supplies. I'm sure there are similar suppliers in the UK. (But StewMac does ship there.) Actually a member of GuitarZone living near London (doesn't check in often anymore but can be contacted) is a pretty skilled luthier.

The nut is another thing. If the intonation and action are both still good, I wouldn't change it at this point. If it is a problem it should probably be looked at by someone who knows how to do the repair if necessary. It could be just a simple re-glue, but could also require shaping a new nut, better left to someone familiar with it.

Again, sorry I missed this, but I don't always look in this forum every day anymore.

Good luck with your repairs.

And welcome to GuitarZone.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#6 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

hi dadfad,

my guitars quite old the countryman by hohner, I have been in many shops in my town and other towns seen finishes on the countryman but, never seen the finish I have on it again. I wonder if it was a one off style. I have seen it with golden and black sunbusrt but this orange tone not seen. my mother bought me it in the 90's it swamps my frame and it's very heavy to carry. Having said that I can only play it seated lol! The guitar has a deep tone to it also, I enjoy playing it but for my own fun.

I always wanted to get my song lyrics and melodies recorded but only got the copywritten. I have books sheets written nearly got signed once but, the guy wanted me to umm "put out" as he said when I said no keep it strictly professional he, quit doing backing for my lyrics and quit ringing me! my mother was really upset it broke her heart and I vowed never to learn guitar or sing..I put the guitar and lyrics to one side and just quit! I am still feeling I am on a losing road as, I am learning guitar but, I am getting older now..and I don't think age is on my side with music.I was born in 80's so...I don't know lol! I still walk around humming singing my songs but, no one to put the chords behind it so it's upto me to get cracking on guitar lol! who knows maybe one day they will be completed when I am 100 :-)

I had various people offer to collab then get tied up in own work or the oh you are female I am male scenario again so...it would draw a blank.

my guitar playing is lacking as it's been years since picked one up but, now I have 3 of the little devils.

2 of which belonged to a friend now passed over and I just got one today a rockwood lx90L had to reasemble it and put headstock back on. other is a fender squier sa-100. I am currently practicing on the Squier I like the tone better as it's brighter than the hohner.

take care !

Edited by GraceUK, 21 May 2015 - 09:26 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...