9 replies to this topic

#1 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: Gone Gone

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

I sanded down my old guitar saddle due to high strings now I have the D string too high ( GOd knows why I did this I should have left it as, I can't find a saddle anywhere that is the same!)

I have contacted Hohner to try to find one the same no such luck.

mine is dark plastic ivory 74mm long and 3mm width.

I went on to buy one on a website and sanded it to fit compensated white plastic as, I had replaced the guitar nut with a 41mm white plastic nut.

I sent for and received a white saddle 74mm by 3mm sanded it down both sides leaving the base not sanded. managed to get a good fit!

so I tipped guitar up checked the fit and the saddle split in 3 shards! hows that for a good quality saddle!

so I am wondering where I can find a saddle which is exact/close fit and of high/decent quality please?

I would like a compensated ivory/yellow toned one.

I saw Tusq but their measurements are all over he place and I can't find a 74mm one anywhere.

can anyone help please?

thanks

#2 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

Met new neighbours family they seem very nice people! lets hope and pray the grandson moving in is ok too!

Update I got my Snark SN-8 today and wanted to tell you it's a good little gadget so thank you for helping me on this. I also can't put down my ukelele plectrums they are great and helped me to get a pattern going when strumming. yet when I go back to the thin dunlop plectrums it becomes a pain is, it odd that I prefer to finger strum and don't enjoy using a plectrum?

#3 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,802 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:15 PM

not odd. that said both have advantages. 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#4 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

weather here has been 33 degrees I think the humidity has moved truss rod on my guitar fender or ...the strings are ruined..as SN-8 is taking ages to tune it atm usually tunes easily. off to buy new strings.

#5 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,802 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:05 PM   Best Answer

im wary of your constant worry about truss rods. ive been playing since 1992 and only recently has a guitar i bought in 1995 needed a truss rod adjustment. speak with a professional as truss rods are not for foolin with. 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#6 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

I won't be adjusting any truss rods after reading posts about what can happen so, don't worry I won't even attempt it. I think it's the strings as they have been on there a while, they are super lights, just sent for custom light normal.The issue in my town is like a ghost town trying to find someone who will fix guitars is like finding a needle in a haystack, find a website and it says someone can fix your guitar then phone/email to find they have gone bust this has happened twice. Other alternatives are 60-80 pounds just for fiddling around a bit with the guitar and they

aren't even luthier's just local shops. I will continue to play and switch the strings.

#7 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

Grace, I second what sixy says. Also, warm weather shouldn't do any harm to your guitar. Definitely try new strings first. It's amazing how the intonation on strings goes off (especially the high e string) from not changing them regularly.

#8 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

I went for some new strings custom lights, it sure hurts more to play the lower strings but, the sound is nicer. feels much fresher.I Took strings off noticed a few areas where it had a few dings in the strings. I haven't touched the truss rod at all I won't.

I think my neighbours will be knocking my door before long if I dont get the C chord right I can't get the stretch to it to work my wrist keeps throbbing.

yet the G chord I can play I feel so far behind as been decorating a lot why not here, bedroom I just need to put up a painting in my bedroom when I cna be bothered to drill the wall. living room painted and some extra bits...wow I am off topic! bathroom done hall so a lot of that and not enough days to practice. Now it's done I can do that. Just need to paint kitchen and a couple doors ( yawns at idea of more painting..it can stay like it...till I feel like it!) I became a decorating demon my brother said I was like Taz with a brush. no kidding. I was even moody like him!

that C chord is driving me mad..if I can't get it right before long I will snap  I had this issue with D chord then suddenly after umm 3 months it happened to work fine.

if this is another 3-4 month issue I will go insane...:S

#9 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

I bought another countryman guitar vintage same as mine it was like finding a needle in a haystack. I bought another countryman guitar sunburst this has a red pick plate I am happy, needs some TLC didnt cost much and now I know the original saddle measurements as well as nut height. I could even sit and check string height. I will make sure to check all of it oh and one thing.

I am never touching that truss rod no matter what!

so I now have 2 of these guitars,both of which now play well, oddly this  one plays nicer. sounds nicer and playing a C chord is easier too it doesn't hurt my fingers and the strings ring nice and clean easily!. I just love the sound from them its deep and booming! I came to realise from this guitar that the nut height at 2B and 1E is very important for the string pressure.

so, happy I found another one of these guitars. I have only seen 3 of the orange yellow sunburst ones them in blue and red/green or red sunburst and not orange sunburst. strange so little of the orange sunburst made. if I ever find another one of them as cheap as I found this one it might cause me to buy another one and putting another wall mount up. eventually the wall will fall down from wall mounts I fear.

can't believe I started with one guitar now have four it's become a passion!

I am going to sit and de clutter my home soon so I wont be online as I want to sell some things dont need dont use to free up room for my new passion...oh dear its addictive!

#10 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

I got it fixed! I am super happy! :-) it didn't cost me the £35.00 either. :guitar:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...