#1 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: Gone Gone

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:12 AM

pictures at bottom

this one has silver strings on it coated and no idea what they are at first thought they were electric but they are too light and electric strings usually E and B are quite thick horizontally these are thin. They have a really nice clean clear bell like tone and when I tuned it up I was "OHH My God that Tone!" I don't know if Elixir nanoweb are like it at all.

the guitar looks really bright shades on the picture yet its more natural wood with black grain running through it and the edge is a lighter red.

OFF TOPIC A BIT HERE!

By the way I now have 3 countryman guitars lol! I will need to drill holes in my wall to hang them up as I am tripping over them in my bedroom and dont want to prang them, even the cats like O.o this is a good climbing tree, so I can reach bookshelf and knock all her books down again HURRAH! freedom!

I will never open mouth and say 'I wish I had more countryman guitars! I love them!' INstead I iwll say I wish I had another 'fridge or freezer and a THor Looking postman holding a new  PS4' I'll explain that one later. so I now have 5 guitars heh! I dont need or want anymore guitars so I am majorly happy with all I have because each one is bought with love and that means a greta deal to me sentimental. its a lighter wood sunburst, so all my guitars now different forms of sunburst except my fender. and it was mint came with pink padded bag tuner and plectrums. This was a birthday present I didn't know about and it's come early. I was told I can open it but have to leave it at my sisters as it's a gift. I am thrilled to bits! suddenly one minute no guitars then came along like trains! I'll take a picture of it sometime but, I have to wait till September end of..aww well poor me!

soon will have more guitars then people. so I have been selling stuff on ebay so far so good!

thatguitarisnice_zpsfp856a5y.jpg?t=14386

Edited by GraceUK, 05 August 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:00 AM   Best Answer

Not trying to be a dick here, but if anyone can tell you what strings are on your guitar I'll be amazed.

If I saw the guitar in the flesh, I still wouldn't be able to tell you what strings are on it.

#3 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

that's ok better to explain then not to so thanks for that

perhaps a moderator can close thread for me

#4 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,510 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:44 AM

I won't close it. Someone else may be able to help.

#5 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,084 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

I can tell you they very likely are electric guitar strings. I've never seen acoustic guitar strings where the E, A, D and often the G strings aren't either bronze-wound or phosphor-bronze wound. (Bronze are a bit redder than phosphor-bronze which is more of a golden color.)

Electric guitar strings (like acoustic strings) come in many different gauges (thicknesses) from pretty thick to very thin. For example the thick E-string might be from .052" to .054" thick (fairly heavy) down to .042" thick (fairly light) and several thicknesses in between. (I used to use what were called Gibson Heavy Gauge which was a .058" on the thick-E, but they quit making those about twenty years ago.) The thinnest gauge around now (about .042" Thick-E) are probably what's called Ernie Ball Slinky Extra-Lights. Dean Markley also makes a similar set.

So you probably have a set of electric strings from a Light gauge set to maybe an Ultra-Light gauge set on your guitar. It would be extremely difficult to say what brand, even having the guitar to look at. However if they're coated they're likely made by Elixir (although there are a few other companies making them now.) Elixir makes both acoustic and electric strings.

As far as using electric strings on an acoustic, that's no problem. Bronze and Phosphor-Bronze usually gives more tone, but many guitarists (for example the great Merle Travis) used electric strings on their acoustics. If the strings have the tone you want and they feel good to you, then they're the "right" strings!

My advice when trying to replace your strings if you want the same as now on the guitar, take the guitar with you to the shop and (by feel) compare the thicknesses to the strings in the package.

If you have access to a set of calipers or a micrometer (usually machinist's measuring tools) or know someone who has them (including some guitar shops) it would be easy to measure the exact thicknesses of the strings on your guitar and then buy an identically gauged set.

I hope this helps a bit.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#6 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

Thank you Dadfad for the reply :-)

I am yet to get chance to head into a store and get them checked a new store is opening up called PMT ( the name makes me laugh we term PMT here as pre menstrual tension)

I did have a look at the electric strings I already have in a packet I haven't used which are lights. I use Johnny brook on acoustic and electric I do find they are dull but, they are cheap but start to buzz within 2 weeks use. for 2.50 I don't complain as, it's affordable. I will be looking at slinky strings and seeing about getting a packet on ebay. I was really worried they would harm the neck or ruin the intonation. here whenever I have taken a guitar to be re strung they seem to put Yamaha strings on them, yet I also find they are buzzy.

I have had a really bad day today one of those where everything goes wrong in one go! so I am sitting with a  flask of Chai in england and a large shot in it of chocolatein it! and coconut milk. it's pretty nice.

so, it's made my day to log in here and see such nice responses! thank you!

#7 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,510 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

Are you sure Dadfad? It looks like the G string is wound to me, which leads me to believe they are acoustic strings.

#8 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,084 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:30 AM

They could be. Not to say there aren't any, but I've never seen all steel acoustic strings. There are electric sets with wound G-strings though. For example Dean Markley Mediums, D'Addario has several wound-G sets, GHS makes a wound-G set. (I used to use them on my ES-175 for awhile.)

Wound-G's (on electrics) are often considered a jazz-type string, but there are quite a few manufacturers who offer steel-wound G sets.

Of course I'm assuming she's correct that they are steel (nickel) electric strings.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#9 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

I hope before christmas to take the guitar and get it checked also, then I can let you know for sure I'll have to change the strings anyway soon , so it shouldn't be too long. my shoulders need to recover form carrying the electric today in town...wow that bag cut my shoulders.

I have seen the hendrix dean markley strings in the store today. The store was pretty sweet with a cool boothe you can go in with leather sofas..I hope the store stays so much to try out. I tried an old fender wayne kramer signature flag strat which had the usa flag on but it sounded awful the guitar tech said oh wow I didn't notice it was that badly tuned lol! it was going for wait for it £699 . I had fun they were nice and said try what you like while you wait.

birthday soon so, I ca have a little bit of cash and just maybe get that strat fixed :P

#10 ThomasTedsmall

ThomasTedsmall
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: ThomasTedsmall

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:33 AM

Ive started a small bag of old strings to recycle via Daddario. I also had a bunch of older new sets of strings that I had accumulated. Various places had special buy 3 sets offers that I used to try out various brands of strings. After the 1st set, I didnt like the strings. By sending all of them to The Second String Project. I was able to de-clutter AND help out musicians in need. Both options are a win-win for me..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...