- - - - -

Changed strings to super lights but now guitar sounds dead.

3 replies to this topic

#1 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: Gone Gone

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

Ok,  I was getting use to using light strings instead of super light gauge and the guitar was playing fine with it all.

decided to switch strings because an issue with the previous ones meant they had corrosion on them. So store sent new strings.

I swapped them over but the strings they sent were super light gauge Yamaha. THey oddly sent me 3 sets of these too! when I had only bought one set. Hmm kind of them.

not what I wanted put them on my guitar though, they sound in tune but, when I strum they sound wrong, they sound dull and dead. I may be wrong but I feel the guitar can't handle the gauge thickness, that it's causing issues? in tuning.

I don't want to get a set up to tune it to lightest gauge, so will tuning it up again a few times over a few days or hours help the strings to settle in at all? or is it a bad idea as, I don't want to be stuck with a guitar only use to lightest gauge strings, I don't like the sound of them and they sound less full.

I was enjoying a mess around with pearl Jams Black challenging myself to try something very difficult for me.-- which isn't so easy to sing to and play same time. now the thin strings kill the sound. I decided to try a few tunes even some country songs and it just sounds...for better words (poo!) :(

any advice please.

Edited by GraceUK, 01 September 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#2 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

could my strings be fake.

Packaging outside looked fine.

inside packs were clear plastic then yellow text like calligraphy. I have seen this before in local store on d'addarios.

my instinct is they are fake the ball ends are chunky also.

ab37d871-e938-4905-83b3-6bccced6e6c9_zps

#3 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

I got a refund for them :-) not to worry. I went elsewhere and got decent advice about strings for playing needs, I went to a luthier which does violin and classical guitars a small shop out of the way. They helped me choose some d'addario ones I have to get use to them they seem ok.

#4 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

I bought some new strings dean markley blue steel and they seem to be pretty good holding tone and tuning well they were about £8.00 a set. I do need to find some cheaper strings to just mess around with for practice. yet these were tuned up then re tuned hour later and have held tune since. I really like them they sound nice and bright. I have a new capo too a aroma screw on one it's a little fiddly but it's not bad.

I saw aroma make capos with the tuner built into the capo interesting idea!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...