37 replies to this topic

#21 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

Israel is like the boss's spoiled kid of countries. Everyone knows it shits over everyone but no one ever does anything about it coz the boss (USA) will get mad at them. Obama tried to b reasonable with them but I forsee the next 4 years of the same ol Israeli butt licking.

See a few months ago I would have agreed completely. But i got into a debate with a person who explained some things about the region which made me realize that I know very little about the situation.

I was born in Qatar lived there a good 16 years or so n have a perspective of how arabs think about Israel, biased towards Palestine. And then I moved here n got another perspective from American point of view, which was always pro Israel till lately. I can claim a moticum of unbiased point of view when it comes to this issue n therefore in my humble opinion, it's nigh time someone stood up for the oppressed people of Palestine. 2 states solution is the way to go but if one state continually keeps disregarding every attempt at a resolution by encroaching with new developments on neighbor's land, then u can point a finger and say who is wrong here. Fact of the matter is parties of god have been given a say in this delicate matter n both claim divine right which further muddied the issues.

Could a one state solution work? That seems to be what Netanyahu is suggesting.

#22 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I once maried a Dutch Woman.

#23 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

Does anyone remember when Waz used to type in Butters' voice, signed all his posts with "PEACE OUT"?

#24 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

Yeh

#25 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:43 AM

Oh, Dave is back.

#26 richey

richey
  • 34,159 posts
  • Original Name: richey

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

Israel is like the boss's spoiled kid of countries. Everyone knows it shits over everyone but no one ever does anything about it coz the boss (USA) will get mad at them. Obama tried to b reasonable with them but I forsee the next 4 years of the same ol Israeli butt licking.

See a few months ago I would have agreed completely. But i got into a debate with a person who explained some things about the region which made me realize that I know very little about the situation.

I was born in Qatar lived there a good 16 years or so n have a perspective of how arabs think about Israel, biased towards Palestine. And then I moved here n got another perspective from American point of view, which was always pro Israel till lately. I can claim a moticum of unbiased point of view when it comes to this issue n therefore in my humble opinion, it's nigh time someone stood up for the oppressed people of Palestine. 2 states solution is the way to go but if one state continually keeps disregarding every attempt at a resolution by encroaching with new developments on neighbor's land, then u can point a finger and say who is wrong here. Fact of the matter is parties of god have been given a say in this delicate matter n both claim divine right which further muddied the issues.

No 

My anger is a form of madness
And so I'd rather have hope than sadness

#27 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

It's very difficult to find anything on the internet that isn't extremely bias in one direction or the other. This article is one of the most neutral that i've found. http://www.huffingto...el-palestine...

#28 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

No 

Couldn't see the Arabs accepting a two, they will never recognize a state of Israel.

#29 richey

richey
  • 34,159 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

I can't see the Israelis accepting a one-state solution - simple demographics means it wouldn't be a Jewish state anymore. A two-state solution is the only thing that's tenable and that means accepting the state of Palestine. That means other countries officially recognising it and it means the Israelis accepting that and abiding by international law - dismantling the wall and all of the settlements, supporting full Palestinian statehood and the formation of an official Palestinian armed forces and defence policy. A stretch, but only because Israel act with arrogance and get away with whatever they like. It means they don't have to move an inch during negotiations, nobody is going to force them, but it doesn't mean they get peace. When you read about what life is like for Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, it's not surprising they resort to desperate tactics. I'm not defending or justifying it, but the extremist groups wouldn't get support if the occupation was ended. Frankly, our generation (and those before us) have sat back and watched an illegal occupation continue for decades, and should hang our heads in shame. The Israelis have the right to exist and the right to security and peace, certainly, but only within their own borders. That doesn't justify the occupation. 

#30 Jay Kay

Jay Kay
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Original Name: ReditusMusic

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

I can't see the Israelis accepting a one-state solution - simple demographics means it wouldn't be a Jewish state anymore. A two-state solution is the only thing that's tenable and that means accepting the state of Palestine. That means other countries officially recognising it and it means the Israelis accepting that and abiding by international law - dismantling the wall and all of the settlements, supporting full Palestinian statehood and the formation of an official Palestinian armed forces and defence policy. A stretch, but only because Israel act with arrogance and get away with whatever they like. It means they don't have to move an inch during negotiations, nobody is going to force them, but it doesn't mean they get peace. When you read about what life is like for Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza, it's not surprising they resort to desperate tactics. I'm not defending or justifying it, but the extremist groups wouldn't get support if the occupation was ended. Frankly, our generation (and those before us) have sat back and watched an illegal occupation continue for decades, and should hang our heads in shame. The Israelis have the right to exist and the right to security and peace, certainly, but only within their own borders. That doesn't justify the occupation. 

this x1000

#31 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

But will the Arabs accept a state of Israel?

#32 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

It's a grey area to describe Israel's presence in West bank as an occupation.

#33 maungabluesy

maungabluesy

Looking out a window that isn't there

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,047 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: exbluesyousonofabitchmajor

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

How so?
c0dbbba7-6a32-4bda-887e-db2eac32d0af.jpg

#34 Jay Kay

Jay Kay
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Original Name: ReditusMusic

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:13 AM

It is a certainty, not a grey area at all.

#35 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,816 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:33 AM

I have the shell casing from an Israeli weapon fired into Gaza in 2011. It's huge. 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#36 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

How so?

They took back, by force, in 1967 what was taken from them, by force, in 1948.

#37 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,816 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

How so?

What are your thoughts on the definition of sanjaks and vilayets as they pertain to the McMahon-Hussain Correspondence?

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#38 richey

richey
  • 34,159 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

How so?

Surely if you're going to go back that far, you could say the entire area of historic Palestine was taken from the Palestinians by force and therefore Israel are illegally occupying Israel. Back in the real world, Israel keeping the spoils of war from 1967 is (and was) illegal in international law. It is most definitely not a grey area - it is very clearly a breach of international law and very definitely an occupation. The West Bank and Gaza are Palestinian territory. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...