• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,447 posts
  • Original Name: improviduto

Posted 29 October 2003 - 05:37 PM

Submission Courtesy of Cortez the Killer

The Beach Boys
Pet Sounds

The best Beach Boys album, and one of the best of the 1960s. The group here reached a whole new level in terms of both composition and production, layering tracks upon tracks of vocals and instruments to create a richly symphonic sound. Conventional keyboards and guitars were combined with exotic touches of orchestrated strings, bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, the theremin, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, barking dogs, and more.

It wouldn't have been a classic without great songs, and this has some of the group's most stunning melodies, as well as lyrical themes that evoke both the intensity of newly born love affairs and the disappointment of failed romance (add in some general statements about loss of innocence and modern-day confusion as well).

The spiritual quality of the material is enhanced by some of the most gorgeous upper-register male vocals (especially by Brian and Carl Wilson) ever heard on a rock record. "Wouldn't It Be Nice," "God Only Knows," "Caroline No," and "Sloop John B" are the well-known hits, but equally worthy are such cuts as "You Still Believe in Me," "Don't Talk," "I Know There's an Answer," and "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times."

It's often said that this is more of a Brian Wilson album than a Beach Boys recording (session musicians played most of the parts), but it should be noted that the harmonies are pure Beach Boys (and some of their best). Massively influential upon its release (although it was a relatively low seller compared to their previous LPs), it immediately vaunted the band into the top level of rock innovators among the intelligentsia. The 1990 CD reissue added a few interesting but inessential outtakes, and a 1999 reissue added a new stereo version of the entire album to the original mono program.

Yes quite a classic album Pet Sounds was. On a side note though. When Pet Sounds came out it was obviously at the top of the charts. Paul McCartney to this day still says that "God Only Knows" is still one of his favorite songs. Also when it came out he was shocked and knew the beatles had to match up to that and then they made Srgt. Peppers.

Tracks

Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B.
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No
Hang on to Your Ego

Sources-some help from Allmusic.com

#2 Cortez The Killer

Cortez The Killer
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Original Name: Cortez The Killer

Posted 29 October 2003 - 06:03 PM

i LOVE this album. Possibly the best opening track ever! All the songs on this album are fun, catchy just classic songs.

ph34r.gif
user posted image

Jacky White

#3 crappy_acoustic

crappy_acoustic
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Original Name: crappy_acoustic

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:09 PM

Definitely. Wouldn't It Be Nice is the best Beach Boys song, followed closely by Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, and Sloop John B. Fantastic album!

#4 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

Hey, did you hear that Smile is officially being released NOT on illegal bootleg?
And whoever has the Eddie Vedder signature is damn right. Le Vedder est God!
user posted image
Buckley's only vice...

#5 chasyd

chasyd

tries..

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • Original Name: chasyd69

Posted 07 October 2004 - 01:27 PM

iv heard this opinion off many people apparently it was released after being inspired by sgt peppers dry.gif

#6 pauliejay

pauliejay

ad hominem ad nauseum

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Original Name: pauliejay

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE ([email protected] @ Sep 25 2004, 08:36 AM)
Hey, did you hear that Smile is officially being released NOT on illegal bootleg?
And whoever has the Eddie Vedder signature is damn right. Le Vedder est God!

Yes, Smile has been finished and polished with Brian's approval.

QUOTE (chasyd69)
iv heard this opinion off many people apparently it was released after being inspired by sgt peppers dry.gif

Not quite. He was motivated by Rubber Soul to compose more expansive material. By the time he heard Revolver he decided to come up with the best he could possibly do. The result was Pet Sounds. When he heard Sgt Peppers he was crushed somewhat when he realised that there was no point in competeing with The Beatles (his words, not mine).

My favs on this album are Caroline No and You Still Believe In Me.

QUOTE (Cortez)
When Pet Sounds came out it was obviously at the top of the charts.

Actually, it didn't chart very well at all, confirming the record company's fear that this album was too far from the mainstream to be successful. Within months Capitol issued a compilation album of previous hits which soared to the top of the charts. Always a bit of a "closet classic", Pet Sounds is these days held in it's rightful high esteem!

#7 kresnan

kresnan

fast 'n' bulbous

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Original Name: kresnan

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:57 AM

Just bought the album the other day and can't seem to put it down. An excellent polished production with great addictive melodies except for 'Sloop John B.' which IMO is definitely the pariah among the pearls.
user posted image
What did you feed the poor, wretched Skinny Puppy?

#8 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,783 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (kresnan @ Nov 12 2004, 04:57 PM)
Just bought the album the other day and can't seem to put it down.  An excellent polished production with great addictive melodies except for 'Sloop John B.' which IMO is definitely the pariah among the pearls.

'Sloop John B' may sound stupid cauz of it's vocals, but it's always been a fav of
mine as the melody is amazing, and it's a sentimental one for me. Class album smile.gif

#9 kresnan

kresnan

fast 'n' bulbous

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Original Name: kresnan

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:30 AM

Well I did buy it only a few days ago, so I think it'll grow on me a little... but I still have to remind myself that it's basically a traditional song and not intended as part of the album.

Maybe it will require some listenings with my old folks amongst some fist fights, then it just might catch on. smile.gif
user posted image
What did you feed the poor, wretched Skinny Puppy?

#10 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,783 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:32 PM

It'll grow on you i guess. I wouldnt listen to it everyday, but when i do it always
makes me smile. Actually i reckon that this number embarrass some people biggrin.gif

#11 pauliejay

pauliejay

ad hominem ad nauseum

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Original Name: pauliejay

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:03 AM

"Sloop John B" is an old sea shanty which the Beach Boys performed in their very early days - at their very first audition/recording session actually!

It was a staple of their early shows, but it was never intended for inclusion on Pet Sounds. It was actually Al Jardine who came up with a new arrangement and suggested it to Brian Wilson as a sort of "tribute" to their past. He agreed and then Captitol Records, quivering in their boots over marketing such an uncommercial album, decided to release it as a single.

It illustrates Capitol's complete lack of faith in their artists and utter ignorance of music in general that they relegated the immensely likeable "Wouldn't It Be Nice" to the B-side of "God Only Knows" when it could have been a stand alone smash hit in it's own right.

Record companies... bah!

#12 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,783 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (paulie jay)
Record companies... bah!

The way things are going, they'll be obsolete in the near future, and that may be the reason why they look so desperate over the copyrights issue.

But meanwhile, they still dare to try to sell us the same album three times. Pet Sounds is now available in it's remasterised version 5.0 (live & studio) tongue.gif

#13 Sidelinethoughts

Sidelinethoughts
  • 90 posts
  • Original Name: Sidelinethoughts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

This is one of the best albums i have ever heard. SMILE is great I havent stopped listening to it yet.

user posted image

#14 Orchestrazia Ardwick

Orchestrazia Ardwick

The most inept that ever stepped

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,207 posts
  • Original Name: el_burton

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:05 AM

Absolutely love this album, second only to Revolver in my opinion. Only song I don't love is Sloop John B. I like it but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the rest of the album. In particular I love That's Not Me, I Know There's An Answer, Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder), Pet Sounds and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.

cheryl.gif

#15 NotComeDown

NotComeDown

luck on every finger

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • Original Name: NotComeDown

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

heard brian wilson playing a couple of these at glasto, brilliant stuff, the whole set was quite varied early beach boys, pet sounds, the hits, smile, i get around and good vibrations were probably the highlights biggrin.gif
www.soundclick.com/paulward

user posted image

cecil stick with the story! (CYHSY)

#16 diormag09

diormag09
  • 8 posts
  • Original Name: diormag09

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:14 AM

Oh yeah, and wasnt some girl who is a daughter of someone from The Beach Boys on Super Nanny?

#17 derebaker

derebaker
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: derebaker

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

Surfin USA Little Deupe Coupe Shut Down When I Grow Up God Only Knows Do It Again Kokomo But generally you cant go far wrong with the Beach Boys. Their creative battles with the Beatles to outdo each other really pushed musical boundaries.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...