• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,447 posts
  • Original Name: improviduto

Posted 18 November 2003 - 05:46 PM

Submission courtesy of Cortez the Killer

Artist: Pearl Jam
Album: Ten

Nirvana's Nevermind may have been the album that broke grunge and alternative rock into the mainstream, but there's no underestimating the role that Pearl Jam's Ten played in keeping them there. Nirvana's appeal may have been huge, but it wasn't universal; rock radio still viewed them as too raw and punky, and some hard rock fans dismissed them as weird misfits. In retrospect, it's easy to see why Pearl Jam clicked with a mass audience. They weren't as metallic as Alice in Chains or Soundgarden, and of Seattle's Big Four, their sound owed the greatest debt to classic rock.

With its intricately arranged guitar textures and expansive harmonic vocabulary, Ten especially recalled Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. But those touchstones might not have been immediately apparent. Aside from Mike McCready's Clapton/Hendrix-style leads every trace of blues influence has been completely stripped from the band's sound.

Though they rock hard, Pearl Jam is too anti-star to swagger, too self-aware to puncture the album's air of gravity. Pearl Jam tackles weighty topics such as abortion, homelessness, childhood traumasand gun violence.

Tracks
Once
Even Flow
Alive
Why Go
Black
Jeremy
Oceans
Porch
Garden
Deep
Release

Source
some help from allmusic.com

#2 improviduto

improviduto
  • Ombudsman
  • 23,447 posts
  • Original Name: improviduto

Posted 18 November 2003 - 05:48 PM

Excellent album. One of my all-time favourites. It's one of the favourites of my buddy Greg, too.
Fender Telecaster player

#3 hasek96

hasek96
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Original Name: hasek96

Posted 18 November 2003 - 06:18 PM

another excellent album, I prefer Pearl Jam to Nirvana any day of the week, the songwriting was stronger, guitar playing better, and just a tighter band. Less hype, more actual talent.

#4 _brad_

_brad_
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts
  • Original Name: _brad_

Posted 18 November 2003 - 06:37 PM

good band great album, good review

this is pearl jams best album not saying their other stuff wasnt great either. Pearl Jam are in my top 10 all time bands they rock

good stuff

#5 Cortez The Killer

Cortez The Killer
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Original Name: Cortez The Killer

Posted 19 November 2003 - 01:20 PM

another excellent album, I prefer Pearl Jam to Nirvana any day of the week, the songwriting was stronger, guitar playing better, and just a tighter band. Less hype, more actual talent.

you said it perfectly.
user posted image

Jacky White

#6 lowden

lowden
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Original Name: lowden

Posted 21 November 2003 - 05:46 PM

When this album came out, I professed to my studio mates that this is the best rock album released in ten years (they laughed, but could come up with no alternatives), they now tell me that I was right and that there hasn't been a lot to touch it since. Its all that rock music should be, socially concious, harking to the past masters, pushing the envelope (12 string bass on Jeremy) fretless bass also played, solid, enthusiastic, pleading and loud. Great album and one that will stand the test of time, more so, in my opinion, than any Nirvana album.

#7 itlof

itlof
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Original Name: itlof

Posted 21 November 2003 - 05:52 PM

Definitely a must have for any self respecting rock fan

#8 lithium1285

lithium1285
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Original Name: lithium1285

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:21 PM

How is this album on here and not Nirvana's "Nevermind". It is in the Top 10 of almost everyone's greatest ablums list. It sure as hell is influential, incredibly so.
user posted imageuser posted image

#9 itlof

itlof
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Original Name: itlof

Posted 01 January 2004 - 06:31 PM

I like Nirvana but they are completely overrated

If you want Nevermind in here then put it in yourself
Although In Utero is their greatest
Ten beats it though

#10 skunkx

skunkx
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts
  • Original Name: skunkx

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:18 PM

evreybody should own a copy of Ten

user posted image
user posted image

#11 The Smashing Pumpkin

The Smashing Pumpkin

Evacool

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Original Name: The Smashing Pumpkin

Posted 01 August 2004 - 07:38 AM

Pearl Jam is one of my all time favourite bands, I'm planning to get Ten sometime soon.
user posted image

Claudio from Coheed and Cambria

#12 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:07 PM

I love Ten its ######ing brilliant. The use of guitars from McCready are beautiful. The vocals and lyrics from Eddie "Best Vocals Ever" Vedder are so completely meant by him. And Ament's fretless bass sliding is so cool.
But I like Vs. more. Ten is an amazing album.
Does anybody ever get the impression that Ten sounds like a band's last album? Perhaps its because it feels so complete and mature and Vs. (their second) sounds very fresh and more relaxed. Whether you like Ten more or not vs, should be here quite clearly. I have the version with three bonus tracks. The live version of Alive kicks ass. What's this whole giant four thing? They don't really sound similar Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. Nirvana are a trio punk band who sound a lot more free. Alice In Chains are more of a metal band, Soundgarden are a punk band and Pearl Jam are this blues band who know how to make blues songs in major scales and stuff. I don't get the comparisons at all.
user posted image
Buckley's only vice...

#13 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

How is this album on here and not Nirvana's "Nevermind". It is in the Top 10 of almost everyone's greatest ablums list. It sure as hell is influential, incredibly so.

I hate Nevermind. I like to refer to it as Kurt Cobain's suicide motive. Which other Nirvana albums do you have out of interest?
user posted image
Buckley's only vice...

#14 metallicac/dc

metallicac/dc

Θηρόποσα Χε

• GZ Regular
  • 20,354 posts
  • Original Name: metallicac/dc

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:57 PM

Favorite Pearl Jam album. Good solid album start to finsih. Favorite songs are Even Flow, Alive (favorite, love that solo!!), Why Go, and Jeremy.

Edited by metallicac/dc, 14 December 2004 - 06:02 PM.

Posted Image

#15 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Original Name: the cash

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:20 AM

My copy of Ten has got Alive (Live), Wash and Dirty Frank on it aswell... Anyone know if this is a special edition or something? (I bought it in a store, not a burned copy)

Great, great album: Absolutely essential... I need to write a review sometime!

Edited by the cash, 27 April 2005 - 12:02 PM.

Soundclick! -- It's back!

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#16 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,784 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:28 PM

Sounds like you own the UK issue ..... 'Alive' (Live) 'Wash' and 'Dirty Frank' have been added as bonus tracks on that edition.

#17 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Original Name: the cash

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:11 AM

Oh, cool thanks for the info... Those are great tracks aswell!

Soundclick! -- It's back!

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#18 Play It Louder

Play It Louder
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Original Name: Play It Louder

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

I am a huge Pearl Jam fan. I own every studio album they've released including rearveiw mirror and lost dogs. Plus I own around 10 of their live albums. But I want to say this is a great album, but I prefer No code over ten I mean both are briliant peices of work but its just a personal preference.
Eddie Vedder writes lyrics in such a unique way. Every song is so in depth. They all have messages that alot of people dont pick up on, such as his song "better man" its not just a song about a relationship its about not settling for less in life just because its their.
And also take "alive" for example the story line is intense. The father dies and leaves behind a wife and a son. As the son grows older genetics kick in and he begins to look more like his father. The mother still in love with and missing the father becomes attracted to the son because of his resemblance to the father.
Like the line "the look, the look, oh you know where now I can see" the look is in between her legs so now go back and listen the song if you have the album and peice it all together.

I am just amazed by their work never grow tired of it and looking forward to the release of their new album
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

#19 freebird784ever

freebird784ever
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts
  • Original Name: freebird784ever

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:43 AM

Pearl Jam surpassed Nirvana in so many ways and this album is enough proof.

The Coolest Guitar Player Of All Time

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

#20 Bert n Ernie

Bert n Ernie

allo allo

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Original Name: Bert n Ernie

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

awesome job!!

i just got a copy of it yesterday and ive listened to it ALOT! great band
really good review. coincedentally yesterday i also got Nevermind. it doesnt hold a flame to TEN.

biggrin.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...