24 replies to this topic

#1 d_gratch

d_gratch
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Original Name: d_gratch

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:44 PM

what are some steps I can take to get that distinct Jerry tone. He had an unusual guitar, right?

#2 Tuning Spork

Tuning Spork

I still have Les Paul's autograph

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  • Original Name: Tuning Spork

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:05 PM

He had a very weird custom Gibson SG. However, he (as well as Weir, Lesh, etc) also had one of the most complicated amplification systems known to man. Also, it helps to have a background in jazz and be really good.

#3 highwaystar332

highwaystar332
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • Original Name: highwaystar332

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:09 PM

is it an SG? or just like a custom made guitar?
user posted image

#4 Tuning Spork

Tuning Spork

I still have Les Paul's autograph

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  • Original Name: Tuning Spork

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

The body is definitely an SG, and I'm almost positive it's a Gibson. However, it has heavy mods, from the fingerboard to the electronics.

#5 highwaystar332

highwaystar332
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • Original Name: highwaystar332

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:22 PM

If your talking about this gutar, I dont think that the body is an SG, the headstock isnt a Gibson I dont think either but Im not quite sure.
user posted image

#6 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

Misterhat knows the answer to this one.
Jerry Garcia used many, many guitars through the years including a Guild Starfire III, Les Pauls, SGs, a Stratocaster with a Gibson tuneomatic and tailpiece, a Travis Bean, and a Gibson Super 400. Though the guitars he is most known for playing were made by Doug Irwin. These included exotic body woods, extensive electronics, and fancy inlay work. At least one of those guitars had a built in effects loop.
Back in the day Jerry liked to use Fender Twins. For awhile he ran the Twins into larger power amplifiers and speakers. This basically amounted to Jerry's own personal guitar PA system. Later on Jerry used Mesa Boogie amplifiers. But he used various other amplifiers at different times and was always experimenting.
Effectswise, Jerry Garcia pretty much tried and used it all including guitar synthesizers. A couple of the effects he used were the Mutron III envelope filter and the MXR Distortion+. Jerry also had several custom units as well. This was constantly changing.
Jerry Garcia listened to and played alot of different kinds of music. He really liked big band, jazz, blues, and country music. Jerry also played banjo and pedal steel.
The best way to get close to that Jerry sound is to listen with an open mind. The more you play the better you will get at it.

#7 kg815

kg815
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Original Name: kg815

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:03 PM

it's a custom guitar made by luthier Doug Irwin

as for effects, he used an MXR Distortion +, MXR Analog Delay, MXR Phase 100, Mutron Octave Divider, Mutron Envelope Filter

his amps were 2 Fender Twin Reverbs through a McIntosh 2300 Power Amp into a 3x12 custom cabinet

#8 juventusfc99

juventusfc99
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Original Name: juventusfc99

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:12 PM

You can find his rig on guitargeek.com.

#9 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Original Name: firebirddude

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (kg815 @ Jan 12 2004, 05:03 AM)
it's a custom guitar made by luthier Doug Irwin

as for effects, he used an MXR Distortion +, MXR Analog Delay, MXR Phase 100, Mutron Octave Divider, Mutron Envelope Filter

his amps were 2 Fender Twin Reverbs through a McIntosh 2300 Power Amp into a 3x12 custom cabinet

Good answer. But that is merely one of his many rigs.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#10 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 07:26 AM

Jerry Garcia used many guitars throughout his career including a Guild Starfire III, Gibson Les Paul Custom with single coil pickups, Gibson SG, Fender Stratocaster with Gibson tailpiece and tuneomatic, Travis Bean, Gibson Super 400, and custom guitars built by several people including Doug Irwin. The Doug Irwin guitars were especially nice with exotic body woods, extensive electronics including built in effects loops, and fancy inlay work. Jerry Garcia regularly used Irwin guitars with the Grateful Dead from the mid-1970s until his death.
Jerry was an experimenter and was always trying out and using various amplifiers and effects. For awhile he used Fender Twins into cabinets built by Alembic and Owsley Stanley. Later on he used Mesa Boogie. Most of the time his amplifiers were augmented with power amplifiers that were connected to even more speaker cabinets. The envelope filter that Jerry Garcia used was a Mutron III. He also used an MXR Distortion+ as well as the other units kg815 mentioned. But there were many, many more. Also Jerry experimented with guitar synthesizers.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#11 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:55 AM

Incidentally, two of his custom-built one-off guitars sold for the highest and second-highest price a guitar has ever gone for at an auction. (The highest priced 'regular' guitar being Clapton's Strat of course).
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#12 d_gratch

d_gratch
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (halfmoonbay @ Jan 12 2004, 04:55 PM)
Incidentally, two of his custom-built one-off guitars sold for the highest and second-highest price a guitar has ever gone for at an auction. (The highest priced 'regular' guitar being Clapton's Strat of course).

I heard that Jimi's burnt guitar was going to be auctioned as the most expensive instrument of all time beating out John Lennon's grand Piano

#13 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

Laws, as effective a deterrant as broken condoms for birth contr

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Original Name: pimp_vince

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:07 PM

nope dweezil zappa is offering to sell it for 1 million US

#14 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:40 AM

Yup, D. Zappa tried to sell it for $1m but no-one was prepared to pay that much for it. The electrics and internal gubbins were badly burnt so they were replaced and the guitar was made playable again, although this means that it's no longer the 'original' so it's probably done more harm to the value than it has good.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#15 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:04 AM

That Jimi Hendrix burnt Stratocaster that Dweezil has actually has a second history as it was owned and used by Frank Zappa. The old insides were messed up so the guitar was modified to Frank Zappa's liking. In fact Frank may have done the modifying himself. That guitar was also used quite a bit on Frank Zappa's records including the Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar series.
I don't see anything at all wrong with Dweezil offering that guitar for a million dollars. Whatever Dweezil could get out of that guitar is way more than somebody like me could afford. So he might as well make some rich bastard pay out the ass for it.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#16 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (firebirddude @ Jan 14 2004, 03:04 PM)
That Jimi Hendrix burnt Stratocaster that Dweezil has actually has a second history as it was owned and used by Frank Zappa.  The old insides were messed up so the guitar was modified to Frank Zappa's liking.  In fact Frank may have done the modifying himself.  That guitar was also used quite a bit on Frank Zappa's records including the Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar series.
I don't see anything at all wrong with Dweezil offering that guitar for a million dollars.  Whatever Dweezil could get out of that guitar is way more than somebody like me could afford.  So he might as well make some rich bastard pay out the ass for it.

its been sold now, according to dweezil, a "private collector" bought it for an "undisclosed amount"

#17 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:31 AM

Hmm, wonder if he got his $1m? smile.gif
The Modulator

#18 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (halfmoonbay @ Jan 14 2004, 05:31 PM)

i doubt it very much

#19 d_gratch

d_gratch
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (badasstommyboy @ Jan 14 2004, 05:37 PM)

i doubt it very much

wow i never knew you had so much awesome gear biggrin.gif

#20 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (d_gratch @ Jan 14 2004, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (badasstommyboy @ Jan 14 2004, 05:37 PM)

i doubt it very much

wow i never knew you had so much awesome gear biggrin.gif

you live and learn biggrin.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...