29 replies to this topic

#1 lotas

lotas
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Original Name: lotas

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:19 PM

I was waiting patiently for my guitar teacher to be done with his student for my lesson and i happened to look over and this 10 year old(not even, younger maybe, for sure not older) and he was playing awesome stuff on a Gibson explorer, it wasnt plugged in but it was very smooth. his fingers were like 3inches long, so theres a burst of inspiration for anyone struggling or at one of "those points" in their guitar careers.
Eric Johnson - September 19th .... oh yes.
-It's the Final Countdown-

#2 vomitblind

vomitblind
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Original Name: vomitblind

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:26 PM

Yeah I went to the guitar shop the other day to grab some strings and there was this little dude maybe about 5-6 years old playing Ozzy, not sure but I think it was Crazy Train the beggining riff, it isn't much but my cousin who is 14 and has been playing for about 9 months can't even play that. It cool to see little kids like that give so much dedication, they and us for that matter, might save Rock in the future if we work hard enough and dedicate to it. I wish I could have started at half my age. Rock on Little Dudes, Rock on \nn/
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

#3 E§phil

E§phil
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • Location:San Antonio Posts: 456,293,012.013 Extra Posts: 231,012
  • Original Name: E§phil

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:52 PM

Well I started when I was 11ish and I guess that was that bad of an age to start.
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

#4 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (lotas @ Feb 8 2004, 03:19 AM)
his fingers were like 3inches long

longer than mine then sad.gif

#5 jeppetoh

jeppetoh

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Original Name: jeppetoh

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

lotas, destroy the competition; hes young so getting rid of him shouldn't be to hard. smile.gif
?

#6 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

Laws, as effective a deterrant as broken condoms for birth contr

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Original Name: pimp_vince

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (mrbung1e @ Feb 7 2004, 10:02 PM)

and probably your penis too.... whoops thought we were in discussion... my bad.

laugh.gif

just kidding man

#7 adds

adds
  • GZ Regular
  • 15,234 posts
  • Original Name: adds

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:31 AM

Reminds me of that little kid you used to see on telly years ago.Not sure how old he was but he was pretty young and he used to play all Jimi and Ozzy stuff.Cant think of his name now can anyone remember him?

#8 ericman197

ericman197

namuchsupwichoo?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts
  • Original Name: ericman197

Posted 08 February 2004 - 01:11 AM

It's all a muscle skill. Playing fast can be done at any age. There are tons of 5 year old piano virtuosos.

#9 K Richards

K Richards
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Original Name: K Richards

Posted 08 February 2004 - 01:59 AM

Yeah i saw a little dude busking at a shopping centre once he was no older then 10 and he was sweet as. He was playing up behind his neck and wif his teeth all sorts of stuff. Playing some good songs too. cool.gif

#10 Loopsider

Loopsider
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts
  • Original Name: Loopsider

Posted 08 February 2004 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (ericman197 @ Feb 8 2004, 09:11 AM)
It's all a muscle skill. Playing fast can be done at any age. There are tons of 5 year old piano virtuosos.

of course e-man doesnt feel like joining in the awe...
the tons of 5 year old piano virtouso still put the shame the guys that have been playing 3 times their life span
Click for Soundclick

user posted image

Walter Giardino-Neoclassical Genius

#11 TexasFlood00

TexasFlood00
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Original Name: TexasFlood00

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (mrbung1e @ Feb 7 2004, 11:02 PM)

Jesus you have small fingers. laugh.gif

#12 Fenderstratplayer

Fenderstratplayer
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Original Name: Fenderstratplayer

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (jeppetoh @ Feb 8 2004, 04:24 AM)
lotas, destroy the competition; hes young so getting rid of him shouldn't be to hard. smile.gif

And if all else fails.. take thier guitar hostage laugh.gif
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~Were gonna miss you Stevie..... RIP SRV~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
user posted image

#13 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (TexasFlood00 @ Feb 8 2004, 06:07 PM)

yeah, fucking sucks. its depressing to notice that 90% of all really good guitar players have long fingers sad.gif

#14 ericman197

ericman197

namuchsupwichoo?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Loopsider @ Feb 8 2004, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (ericman197 @ Feb 8 2004, 09:11 AM)

of course e-man doesnt feel like joining in the awe...
the tons of 5 year old piano virtouso still put the shame the guys that have been playing 3 times their life span

Well, I do think it's a good thing to have those skills. The problem is that anyone can learn to shred. Every day there are new Michael Angelo/Justin King/little kid etc. videos. Whether they be shredding, tapping, slapping, etc. they all have one thing in common; they're doing something difficult. Nevertheless, they're a dime a dozen because anyone with enough determination can do it. I think it's more important to learn to write the music itself. Only 1% of the population will be bright/creative enought to understand certain concepts, as will only .1% for something else. I don't look down upon them for doing it because it DOES take a lot of skill and not everyone has that kind of determination, but it just doesn't impress me anymore. I was definetely in awe the first time I saw Michael Angelo's Speed Kills video, but over time I just got bored with it. Now I just treat it just like I treat any kind of tempo speed; it's merely a technique used to enhance the liveliness.

#15 TexasFlood00

TexasFlood00
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Original Name: TexasFlood00

Posted 08 February 2004 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (mrbung1e @ Feb 8 2004, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (TexasFlood00 @ Feb 8 2004, 06:07 PM)

yeah, fucking sucks. its depressing to notice that 90% of all really good guitar players have long fingers sad.gif

My fingers aren't unbelievably huge but my palms for whatever reason are huge. So it kind of balances out and gives me the ability to wrap my thumb an any note I'm playing on the neck.

#16 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:38 AM

Given that kids pick things up a lot more quickly than most of us, it's not surprising that you could have someone very young who, after a lot of practice and hard work, is very very talented. My kid brother was pretty good on the piano at a very young age.

However, I pity the talented child protige who has a pushy parent or two behind them. Doesn't matter how good you are if you're not enjoying it. There's been several times when I've seen kids down at the climbing wall who are fantastic rock climbers, but they've got some parent literally pushing them onto the wall whilst they're saying 'no, I don't want to.' Those kids are going to be top-notch climbers by the time they hit secondary school, but is it really worth it?
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#17 youstolemynewspaper

youstolemynewspaper
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • Original Name: youstolemynewspaper

Posted 09 February 2004 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (halfmoonbay @ Feb 9 2004, 04:38 AM)
Given that kids pick things up a lot more quickly than most of us, it's not surprising that you could have someone very young who, after a lot of practice and hard work, is very very talented. My kid brother was pretty good on the piano at a very young age.

However, I pity the talented child protige who has a pushy parent or two behind them. Doesn't matter how good you are if you're not enjoying it. There's been several times when I've seen kids down at the climbing wall who are fantastic rock climbers, but they've got some parent literally pushing them onto the wall whilst they're saying 'no, I don't want to.' Those kids are going to be top-notch climbers by the time they hit secondary school, but is it really worth it?

ITS SPELLED PRODIGY

#18 Schnapps73

Schnapps73

Heavy

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Original Name: Schnapps73

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:58 AM

I have small fingers and I started to use 12's on my electric and I played on that for a few weeks, while playing around with a friend we switched strats and I just FLEW! I have never played so fast before! Making the strings heavier has been great for my speed and accuracy.

#19 atlas_101

atlas_101
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • Original Name: atlas_101

Posted 09 February 2004 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (youstolemynewspaper @ Feb 9 2004, 01:01 PM)

ITS SPELLED PRODIGY

YOU FORGOT TO TURN CAPS OFF

#20 ericman197

ericman197

namuchsupwichoo?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (atlas_101 @ Feb 9 2004, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (youstolemynewspaper @ Feb 9 2004, 01:01 PM)

ITS SPELLED PRODIGY

YOU FORGOT TO TURN CAPS OFF

YOU DID TOO

EDIT: OH SNAP

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...